Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A whole new perspective on Lie-Nielsen Hand Planes

A whole new perspective on Lie-Nielsen Hand Planes

This video is amazing and shows how many people are involved with building a Lie-Nielsen hand plane.

https://youtu.be/LHaXAFh83VE?feature=shared
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

They make nice products. I have a small investment in their planes and chisels.
    I know that a lot of folks will say that they have $20.00 flea market purchased Stanley plane, or a $5.00 Stanley 750, that does just as good a job, and so do I have those, but I still enjoy using the LN planes, and chisels, I have. That low angle Jack is a pure joy to use.
    They're also very nice folks if you should ever get the chance to visit with them.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 12-14-2023 at 6:10 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

My first thought, with all that work, how can they sell the plane at such a low price.

Interesting video showing all that goes into producing a plane. I was very surprised with the lack of safety in the foundry. There was very little appropriate safety clothes or.other safety items. One guy was even wearing a short sleeve shirt. I worked with liquid steel and know how dangerous it is and would not come near it with what they had on

Blog Entries
    That low angle Jack is a pure joy to use.
    My LN LAJ was purchased to use as a shooting plane. At the time LN nor LV offered a specialized plane for shooting.

It does work very well for the work where one would use a #5 size bench plane.

This is from an old post on thin shavings:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    As one who enjoys the challenge of a thin shaving it was impressive to me.

The title was what got me to look.

My best shaving with an LN #62 was ~0.0004" if my memory is serving.

The wood used in the Japanese plane videos looks to have a better cell structure than the big box fir in my shop. Could that make much of a difference?

jtk
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?248178

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Interesting video showing all that goes into producing a plane. I was very surprised with the lack of safety in the foundry. There was very little appropriate safety clothes or.other safety items. One guy was even wearing a short sleeve shirt. I worked with liquid steel and know how dangerous it is and would not come near it with what they had on
    I thought the same thing.

Always looking for an "excuse" to use my LN 5 1/2. Pure joy!

As far as safety goes a camera is only 2d and not 3d. So things may appear closer than they are. Most people have no idea how hot it is a foundry. And cotton lets the body breath, helps with heat stroke and heat exhaustion. Also OSHA has control over protective gear and usually they go to extremes. Also there is no amount of protective gear that can protect anyone from a liquid iron. The foundry has safety guidelines and it makes sure they are followed. Again the guy with the tee shirt could have 5-6 foot away and the camera can't show that. So my question is who do you think you are that when you watch a short video can deem that it is unsafe. Obviously the employer didn't think it was unsafe or he wouldn't be allowed to work in what he had on.

How many of you know that the pattern that was being rammed up is is a Match plate pattern. If you don't know that then how do you determine that something is unsafe. Personally I would be afraid of getting Black lung after a few years. I have a friend than has 1 to 3 years to live because of mist problems with breathing mist that came off a surface grinder. No body commented on that . Also how about the coolant off the cutting tools?

Building all of the work holders, jigs and fixtures that were viewed in the film is what I do for a living as a Tool and die maker. And honestly I didn't see one operation that wasn't necessary. I though it was interesting but nothing out of the ordinally.
    Tom

Way about my "Pay Grade"...says the guy with a Wood River No. 62.....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Who am I to make comments??? I worked more than 20 years in an electric arc Steelmaking operation where we handled ladles with more than 100 tons of liquid steel at 3000 F. I have seen first hand what a steel spill can do to a person. Liquid iron or steel can splatter much farther than 5 or 6 feet. We wore green flame resistant clothes, hard hats, metatarsal shoes, aluminized jackets and special glasses. I have a personal idea how hot it is and routinely sweated my butt off. A cotton tee shirt provides no protection from splatter, sparks or heat.

That’s game, set, match I believe…

It never ceases to amaze me how varied the work experiences are of the members on SMC.

As a side note, looks like LN outsources their castings. The last frame of the video says “in association with Enterprise Foundry”. Unless LN owns Enterprise Foundry…

https://enterprisefoundry.com/

Good catch Keegan. L-N did have a small foundry in the original building back some 30+ years ago. Tom started it when no casting house thought his business large enough to bother doing his work. They even made their own patterns in-house at the time. The pattern makers work area was off the main corridor on the second floor. Kind of just a wide spot under the eaves. Later as the number of products and volume grew outside foundries became interested and started doing his work.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Yes I agree with you. As far as clothing goes. Personally I would have wanted more protection. Nothing the was warn by anyone in the whole video offered any protection. The John Deere Foundry, which does all the foundry work for the entire company requires Metatarsal shoes in the foundry as well as several other areas of the plant.. It is basically has a flap that covers the top of the foot which helps protects the top of the foot from dropping on it. It is a step above steel toed shoes. Steel toed shoes and safety classes are pretty much industry standards for any form of manufacturing. Safety regulation can very with the different operations of the manufacturing facility.

I grew up with 3 foundries within 3 blocks of my home .One was an Aluminum, Brass, and Bronze foundry. Hawkeye Steel , which made Pride of Farm equipment which did brass and Herford's foundry which poured Cast iron. The heat and smell that came out of the Headford foundry as we walked by told me that I didn't want to work in a foundry.

So again it is the foundry in questions, safety practices that are the governing thing here and not your idea of what they should be. And again OSHA requirements inter in.

Personally, in the end it is me and me alone that is responsible for my safety. Not a list of rules. It is not your responsibility to call out a safety violation as you see it . It is a safety violation because you see it that way? Just because you see it that way doesn't mean it is true. The company allowed him to dress that way. It is the company's responsibility to furnish related safety equipment. .

I indentured myself in a 4 years apprenticeship so I would not have work in a foundry or any other place I didn't want to. Actually I also served a 4 year apprenticeship as a mold maker also so I have journeyman papers for both. I also taught Manufacturing Process at the college level So I have more than a little knowledge of the subject.

Anyway I watched the video for what it is, and that was showing what all is involved with the machining of the plane from start to finish for someone not familiar with the manufacturing process.

My dad was a smoker and a heavy one in his later years. He died of acute lung disease. He was never called out for a safety violation. My sister died of lung cancer, same thing. I thought of black lung which is more common than one realizes in foundry workers. The person ramming the mold had no lung protection but I just took the video for what it was worth and stayed off the soap box.
    Tom

Blog Entries
    Safety is important on the job, but some companies put on a safety "song & dance" but don't really enforce their guidelines until they want to get rid of somebody.

After 9/11, my last employer felt it would be a good idea for everyone who worked in a public area to wear a yellow vest. Of course the ones they provided were not very good and did not breath. Everyone hated wearing them because they caused the wearer to overheat even on cool days.

Most of us kept them close at hand so they could be put on quickly in case it was needed. One guy left his in his locker. He also insisted on not paying his union dues and a few other things to make him a thorn in everyone's soft spots. When he got caught not wearing his vest, he was used to set an example.

There were actually people who died on the job because of lax safety adherence. Wearing a vest would not have prevented their demise.

Another place I worked had a motto posted all over the place, "No job is so important and no service so urgent - that we cannot take time to perform our work safely." Likewise, it went out the window when a supervisor wanted something done now.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Safety is difficult from both sides... Management and employees. There are some management with ridiculous styles and some employees who refuse to follow safety guidelines. Both groups will blame each other constantly for everything. It is so senseless and accomplishes nothing.

Once in awhile the two groups will work together to put a good program together.

Working together means all people trying to comply with OSHA rules even though people may not agree with them.
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 12-16-2023 at 7:34 PM.