Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock Magazines

Glock Magazines

Before I generate a bunch of toxic fumes, any clue what the outer shells are made of?

I seriously doubt they're PVC but I can't tell for sure, and the people at the factory can't be any more specific than "polymer".
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Without having any good info I'd guess that they were polycarbonate.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Conklin View Post
    Worth a try...I've got a buggered-up 10-rounder I was going to sacrifice to get the settings dialed in anyway.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Shawn,
    Thanks for the link.... I saw this before but couldn't find it again.

G
    Epilog Helix 24 - 60 Watt,
    Electrox 20 Watt,
    CorelDraw x6,

I'm pretty sure they are a very hard polycarbonate of some type.. I do 9mm mags for Rock River Arms, and put a coat of wax on them, laser them at 10sp 100%power, 600 dpi. this just gets below the surface enough that the dealer I do them for can wipe on some paint let it get tacky, then wipe it off. The wax keeps it from sticking to the un engraved surface, and leaves the white logo..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    I'm pretty sure they are a very hard polycarbonate of some type.
    I'm willing to believe they're some kind of polycarbonate, but it's actually quite soft: you can cut it with a utility knife. (And FWIW, I don't think it's the same polymer they use in the gun frame.)

Boy! they must be something different.. The mags I've been doing are so hard, the laser just gets into them.. I kinda assumed they would be the same stuff on the glock.. These are 9mm uzi's pinned to five rounds to satisfy the hoplophobes.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

hoplophobes? i find it funny that people thinks its strange to have an irrational fear of UZIs! Especially considering how they are glorified(demonized) in movies and such ...

Anyhow, I am curious what you are all etching the clips for? We might be approaching the local civil service (police fire and so on) with discounts for our service. I was actually headed down the mag light and other 'bat tool belt' etchings.

Are the clips being etched for design or simply ownership branding?

Thanks
    -Shawn

Ownership and numbering only, nothing decorative.

Glock Mags

Used Glock Mags are cheap enough to sample on....... I will run a test if you can't .........

I have a few around....for my other hobby I am a Factory Certified Glock Armorer.....
    ULS VersaLaser 3.5 30W Rotary & HPDFO

hoplophobes? i find it funny that people thinks its strange to have an irrational fear of UZIs! Especially considering how they are glorified(demonized) in movies and such ...

Anyhow, I am curious what you are all etching the clips for? We might be approaching the local civil service (police fire and so on) with discounts for our service. I was actually headed down the mag light and other 'bat tool belt' etchings.

Thanks
    -Shawn
    Remember were talking about Canada here Eh!! Hoplo's are rampant..ha(I should have said pinned at 10 rounds)
    The reason we are etching them is due to a quirk in our firearms laws. We can have a 10 round mag for a centerfire semiauto pistol, but a centerfire semiauto rifle must be pinned to 5 rounds. Now, if the same mag fits a pistol, and it's permanently marked 'pistol mag' then it can legally hold 10 rounds.. Sooo 25 round mags that will fit the rifle or pistol can be permanently marked pistol mag and pinned at ten rounds and used in a rifle or pistol.. Common phrase here is :"It doesn't have to make sense, it's government policy"
    I just etch them for the distributor, who has received approval for this marking from the RCMP, so nothing sneaky going on ..
    Last edited by Bill Cunningham; 04-27-2010 at 9:03 PM.

Glock Mags

I have done several glock mags, and they come out great, no toxic fumes. I do them for Police officers and agencies for ownership purposes.

settings

Quote Originally Posted by William Richardson View Post
    I have done several glock mags, and they come out great, no toxic fumes. I do them for Police officers and agencies for ownership purposes.
    What Settings did you use on these
    LaserPro Sprit 30 Watt...Corel X5..PhotoGrav 3.0

Material for slides?

Not having access to a Glock, do the slides engrave directly or do you use Cermark?
    Bruce Clumpner
    Brandon Services Laser Engraving
    Academy Commemoratives - Personalized Memorabilia for the U.S. Service Academies
    Irvine, CA
    -
    Epilog 75-watt Helix, 40-watt 18-Mini
    Started with Corel Draw V1 now feeling the pain of CorelDraw x7
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav