Thread: Very Coarse Crystolon / Siox Stones Guzzling Up Oil?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    I wonder if you're stone's coarser grit that Steven's?

Capillary forces are inversely proportional to channel (or in this case pore) diameter, and coarser grits have larger pores than finer ones. I can easily believe that the difference between what you're seeing ang what Steven did can be explained that way.
    Perhaps so. Certainly the capillary forces are going to be the ones responsible for retention of the oil in the stone. My perception was that whatever went into the stone was not destined to stay there forever. There will be some sort of limit as to what the stone can retain. Not sure if steven's stone or mine took on more oil before becoming saturated. I'm really curious to see how much comes back out of mine though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Perhaps so. Certainly the capillary forces are going to be the ones responsible for retention of the oil in the stone. My perception was that whatever went into the stone was not destined to stay there forever. There will be some sort of limit as to what the stone can retain. Not sure if steven's stone or mine took on more oil before becoming saturated. I'm really curious to see how much comes back out of mine though.
    If the capillary forces are strong enough (combination of pores small enough and fluid viscous enough) then in principle the oil could stay in there until/unless its viscosity decreases for some reason. The most likely "some reason" would be mixing over time with a lighter, thinner oil. Like, say, 3-in-1 :-).

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    If the capillary forces are strong enough (combination of pores small enough and fluid viscous enough) then in principle the oil could stay in there until/unless its viscosity decreases for some reason. The most likely "some reason" would be mixing over time with a lighter, thinner oil. Like, say, 3-in-1 :-).
    I think that is likely. What I am wondering is why n ot just use more 10W40 each time the stone gets used rather than 3 in 1 oil. That's what I will use now that its all charged up!

Pat; I have to say with your engineering background, I am a little surprised your experiment wasn't more tightly controlled. The lowest expectation would have seen the stone accurately weighed before the oil fill commenced.

Stewie;

Stewie, like I said, i don't have an accurate scale for this sort of thing. I can however accurately measure the amount of oil that weeps out. If need be, I'll repeat the test with a better measurement method. Note: the weight of the oil is pretty small fraction of the weight of the stone.
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 10-11-2016 at 7:53 PM.

As of last night, three days after soaking, the stone was still weeping oil out. Not sure how much except there was a small puddle around the stone on the plastic paint lid it was setting on. Now I need to transfer the oil to a measuring device. I'm thinking tonight I will make a hole in the lid and set it up so it will drain into a small cup for weighing.

One week after the stone was soaked with oil, the oil continues to drip out.
    20161016_085302.jpg