Thread: Restoring an old Stanley No. 2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mel is entirely correct about this - ANY model of a Stanley #2 has considerable collector's value, though not as much as a #1 (which can sell for well north of $1000 in rusty condition). A long-bed model is very rare, and the upper end of the collector's market where this one would sell if it is indeed a long #2 will very heavily punish even chemical rust removal, and especially taking a wirebrush, sandpaper or scotchbrite pad to any part of the plane. Stripping and re-japanning will hurt its value even more - to the point where the seller will get the dreaded descriptive comment "this example has been nicely cleaned and restored..." in the auction description.

David,

Do you think that the condition of this particular "specimen" has a collector $$ value great enough to trump it's $$ value as a
    "suped" up user? I definitely concede that a #2 commands a high price, but from the trends I've seen in the past there seems to be an equal demand for a #2 (in the condition of the OP's plane) for collectors, and for a restored user. Meaning, I've always thought that a beat to heck #2 gets the same price from a collector that a restored #2 gets from a user.

Again, just my humble opinion, and my arc of observation is nowhere near those who have been dealing with Stanley planes longer than I've been alive.

Quote Originally Posted by David Keller NC View Post
    Mel is entirely correct about this - ANY model of a Stanley #2 has considerable collector's value, though not as much as a #1 (which can sell for well north of $1000 in rusty condition). A long-bed model is very rare, and the upper end of the collector's market where this one would sell if it is indeed a long #2 will very heavily punish even chemical rust removal, and especially taking a wirebrush, sandpaper or scotchbrite pad to any part of the plane. Stripping and re-japanning will hurt its value even more - to the point where the seller will get the dreaded descriptive comment "this example has been nicely cleaned and restored..." in the auction description.
    Last edited by john brenton; 02-07-2011 at 2:13 PM.