Thread: Table saw blade noise?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    No it's a phenolic one and fits very snug. Thanks though
    OK. What if you enlarged the groove just a little more by hand? To make sure there is 100% no contact between the blade and the insert.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    OK. What if you enlarged the groove just a little more by hand? To make sure there is 100% no contact between the blade and the insert.

Erik
    I had the same problem when I changed to a phenolic insert. I never truly figured out the issue but I concluded that it was the teeth raking against the slot sides in the ZCI. I also use thin kerf blades. I cut the ZCI with Forrest WWII combo blade although I now use Freud Industrial blades almost exclusively. I figured the combo might have a bit larger set on the teeth than a rip blade. However, it still made the high pitch raking sound when I put the rip blade on.

I finally got fed up enough to spend almost an hour with coarse sand paper to open up the slot just a tiny fraction. Problem solved. That phenolic insert is hard and it will take a while.

Edit: I just realized it would have been a LOT easier to set the blade angle +/- 0.1* and "trim" the slot that way.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 09-20-2020 at 11:32 AM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher