Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plans for the drum sander/planer flip cart?

Plans for the drum sander/planer flip cart?

Does any one have the plans or a good pictorial essay with a verbal description of the flip cart that holds both the Performax 16-32 and a Dewalt planer? I've seen the video on Youtube. Somewhere I saw a more detailed description with details of this project but can't seem to find it now.

Any info or links would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I don't have the info you need but for me I just reinvent the wheel.

Take all the measurements you need on the tools and then design one to fit just your needs.

I made a one sided one for my planner that way, its fun and you get to waste a lot of wood re-designing it when you forget about the handle or something like that.

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/image/89705417

Pretty much what Bill said. It isn't hard to make to your dimensions.
    I made one and it works great.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=105326
    http://www.routerforums.com/axlmyks-...ner-stand.html
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 09-07-2009 at 11:31 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries

Fliptop Build - 1

Different sander but, here's mine. One one of the best investments in a little shop fixture time I have ever spent.

Here it is with the planer up:

fliptop-2009 planer view.jpg

The planer sits on the fixed top surface. That is; this top is glued to the frame and screwed from inside. This view also shows the latching mechanism; these tightening latches at the four corners really keep everything solid:

fliptop-2009 lock fixed top surface.jpg

Flipping over. The weight of each tool is centered over the axle. Even with a 60lb sander and an 80lb planer, flipping is a breeze:

fliptop-2009 flipping.jpg

Sander up (used to be my CMS, then a different sander, now this one):

fliptop-2009 sander view.jpg

The sander sits on the removable top surface. I am so glad I added this feature as I have changed tools a few times and this allow the addition of different t-nut positions. The recessed lock nut mates with a bolt from the other side. This acts as the axle for the eye-bolt that creates the latch as well as adds strength in keeping the two top surfaces mated. The coutersink-washered screws hold the removable top onto the frame with one screw positioned through each axle to lock it to the frame making the axle pivot in the support block:

fliptop-2009 lock removable top surface.jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-07-2009 at 12:18 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries

Fliptop Build - 2

Here is a view of the 1" oak dowel used as an axle. There is one on each side about 6-7" long. The block provides a little more support than the 3/4" BB ply might on its own. I waxed them with paraffin prior to assembly years ago and they still move fine. There is also a large washer made from a cutout of an old coffee can lid between the fliptop frame and the sides at each axle position:

fliptop-2009 Pivot support.jpg

I used one set of fixed wheels and one set of dual-locking swivel wheels. The first version was all swivel and while this is more manuverable, it was harder to steer and I kept banging into things . . . of course that could just be my gift of natural grace:

fliptop-2009 wheels.jpg

And here's another overview with the planer back on top:

fliptop-2009 another planer view.jpg

This thread has some shots with the tools off and shows the bottom: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=91236
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-07-2009 at 12:33 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks Gentlemen. I've saved this thread to file. I'm sure I'll be bugging you guys with some questions when I get around to this project. When I look at my two separate setups now, I think of how much more space will be opened up by combining the two machines onto one fliptop.

Thanks again!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Flip Top planer cart

Here are a few images of my flip top planer cart. The sides are two pieces of 3/4 birch plywood, glued together. The top is a torsion box, with an oak frame sandwiched with 3/4 MDF. I added a drawer at the bottom for planer accessories and odds and ends. It is mounted on double locking casters.
    Since I have a small shop, this cart works well. It is the same height as my table saw and is a great outfeed table with the planer stored.
    Measure the planer and sander you want to mount and build your cart so they fit. Good luck, have fun and post it when you finish your cart.

Michael

Finished planer cart.jpg Finished planer cart2.jpgPlaner stored1.jpg Planer cart drawer1.jpg

8. To revive an old thread and ask a question...

Michael,

Can you tell me the overall width/length of the top mounting surface of your cart?
    I'm looking at building one of these to accomodate a couple different tools for now, but the same planer at one point down the road.

Thanks, and this looks really good. Nice job.

A.W.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Heffernan View Post
    Here are a few images of my flip top planer cart. The sides are two pieces of 3/4 birch plywood, glued together. The top is a torsion box, with an oak frame sandwiched with 3/4 MDF. I added a drawer at the bottom for planer accessories and odds and ends. It is mounted on double locking casters.
    Since I have a small shop, this cart works well. It is the same height as my table saw and is a great outfeed table with the planer stored.
    Measure the planer and sander you want to mount and build your cart so they fit. Good luck, have fun and post it when you finish your cart.

Michael

Finished planer cart.jpg Finished planer cart2.jpgPlaner stored1.jpg Planer cart drawer1.jpg

Hi Stephen,

You might check out this post: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...der-Cabinetsfd

Downloadable plans for this project are available here: https://app.box.com/files/0/f/115608862

Enjoy,

Paul

Adam,
    Sorry for the late response. Saw your post, but been extremely busy.
    The planer, when folded up for storage is 27" wide x 23" deep x 15-1/8" high. This is with the planer height set at 3-3/8". That is where I set it, fold up the infeed table all the way and the outfeed table folds up and touches the bottom of the exhaust port.
    With the tables opened flat, the depth is 38"

The rotating platform on the cart is 24" deep x 28-3/4" wide. The cart sides are 1-1/2" thick (two 3/4" birch ply with 1-1/2" x 2" maple banding. The base opening is 18-3/8" high.
    This cart is invaluable in my small shop. I flip the planer probably a couple of time a day for the past four years. The drawer below holds extra blades, old blades (for rough cut lumber), torx wrench, and other miscellaneous stuff.

I did post a thread on the build in 2009, but I think it is gone. If you need more info, let me know.

Here's Mine

DSC_1963.jpgDSC_1964.JPGI just looked at a bunch of them on different forums and built mine to fit my tools. I used a length of all-thread inside some electrical conduit for the pivot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What is used for the pivot for the top?

Blog Entries
    I used a 1 inch oak dowel.

I used 3/4" diameter steel rod or bar, 12" long.

I used a 1" steel rod, 6" long. Thicker top piece, obviously. Overkill, I'm sure.

Mine's to hold a hollow chisel mortiser and an edge sander, so less weight, though still substantial.

Flip Top Hollow Chisel Mortiser Cart.jpg
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.