Thread: Kim Bed Design

Kim Bed Design

I am thinking about something like this???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

It's the Euro look. Side tables seem a little wide. In my house they would have about 100 magazines on them possibly causing them to collapse.
    Jim

Very contemporary design. I like it. This design would be a good candidate to show off some highly figured wood veneers too.
    -Jeff

I'm guessing that's a queen-size bed?
    What's underneath the mattress? Slats? Plywood? Is there a leg in the middle of the bed, or does all the weight get transmitted to the floor at the corners?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    I'm guessing that's a queen-size bed?
    What's underneath the mattress? Slats? Plywood? Is there a leg in the middle of the bed, or does all the weight get transmitted to the floor at the corners?
    Jamie,
    It is a queen and I am thinking a center beam that is hidden that supports poplar slats...no center leg. I don't have the structure worked out as yet. The wood will be quartered sapplle...I just bought 80 bf of 8/4

If the mattress does not have a box spring, it should have some other type of flexible suspension system to protect the mattress from premature wearout against a firm surface. This is true especially for 'heavy sleepers' as myself.

The last time I purchased a mattress, I believe the warranty explicity required a box spring.

Perhaps somebody now makes a mattress specifically for platform beds, and my knowledge is dated.

-Jeff

Jeffery,There are so many platform beds that most of the matress manufacturers have a mattress for them. I have made quite a few beds similar to this one and never hd a matress problem. We have a Chatham and Wells matress and were told by the sales person who checked with the maufacturer...if the matress is sold as a set with the box spring , then they must be used together. If they are sold as seperate pices then it is fine for a platform bed and the warantty is in force with no exclusions. Duxiana , a Swedish brand,which is another fine mattress makes several that don't come with a box spring....they are to be used by themselves.
    Sealy and Serta make special foam mattresses for platform beds....so sleep on it and let me know what you think

Mattresses

There are also a few considerations to be aware of when choosing a mattress for a platform bed. Firstly, the way the mattress feels when you try it in the store is in part due to its matching foundation (the box spring) as mattress and box spring are designed to work in conjunction with one another. When you replace the foundation with the more rigid surface of a platform bed, the feel will change. Generally it will become firmer and less resilient.
    Modern mattresses are now thick enough that the traditional box spring is in most cases unnecessary. Of course, for those who prefer the look and the bed height of a box spring, a platform bed can still be set up to accept a box spring. This is particularly useful for sleepers with bad backs who may require an orthopedic mattress or those who only get on with box springs.
    A final word of warning, you might also want to check that your warranty coverage is still valid for a mattress when used without its matching foundation
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 01-15-2007 at 8:57 AM.

Mark,
    The biggest destraction on the piece for me is the lamps. Could they be smaller and mounted on the headboard. They just draw too much attention to them, IMHO. I like the rest though.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

You might consider a futon mattress as well; we've been sleeping on them ever since we moved to california in '91. We discovered them after dispairing at the awful US standard boxspring-sloppy-back-breaker matresses.
    Smile. It worries the other guy.

Mattress - how about going for a Latex mattress. We have them and they are very supportive and there is a large range in softness and feel and there are some good companies that sell them in US. There is no movement transmission between my wife and I with them. I would not know if the other got out of bed and moved a lot at all. A lot of people with back problems use them as well as regular people. I don't think I would go back to a spring mattress ever now.

Also with the Latex most of them are recomended to be a firm or solid base and actually depending on the type and company, may be recomended to be on a solid base but will work OK any way.

So with a Latex mattress you could go with the heavy slats. Or you could go one step further and get the Euro slat system. Just the slats, drop them into the frame and then plonk on a latex mattress or two half mattresses (one for each sleeper).

Ero sleeping in a platform bed.

By the way, Mark, I like the design. If the bedroom is rather large and has a nice open feel then the extra wide side tables and lamps will look great. I like the style myself. I'd put the bed off the back wall so you can appreciate the nice design detail at the side of the headboard.

Something to think about...The side tables have that very nice open space between the draw and the bed. And the space between the back of the matress/bed and head board also has that "seperatefloating" look and feel. So why not serpate the outer sidetable support/leg from the table. (if you know what I mean) Obviously it will be connected but float the leg away. This maight go to the medern side a bit much maybe????? What do ya think?

Robert
    Last edited by Robert Trotter; 01-19-2007 at 9:04 AM.