Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mission bookcase and Mantle pics

Mission bookcase and Mantle pics

This is my first attempt at picture posting on SMC, so I hope it turns out ok.
    These are pics of a Mission bookcase and mantle project I did a while ago. It was loosely based on the plans in Wood magazine. It took way longer than had initially thought though. Mostly qswo, the carcases are oak ply and the panels on the doors are qswo veneer. The wood was stained with a forgotten mix of aniline dyes, then Sealcoat, then a glaze. Topcoated with the Maloof oil/varnish mixture and for some reason, I felt the need to but another coat of wipe on poly. Not glossy, though it appears so in the pics.

The joinery was loose tenons and bisquits.

Thanks for looking.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    bob m

Outstanding, Bob!! Great work and the pics are nice, too...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice job, Bob. I really like the design of the glass.

Regards,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Well done Bob! The finish looks superb.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Too Nice Bob. Love the Old styles.

TJH
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Damn, a woodworking tools rep with WW skills to match the tools he sells! What'll they think of next?! Awesome job there, Bob! Very, very classy look. I'm impressed!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Great job Bob! Gotta love that QSWO! The color looks great. Everything looks like a nice fit too.

So, you have to tell us Bob - what Festool tools played a part in its construction? (besides sanders!)

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    Great job Bob! Gotta love that QSWO! The color looks great. Everything looks like a nice fit too.

So, you have to tell us Bob - what Festool tools played a part in its construction? (besides sanders!)

Todd
    Thanks guys for the comments.

Oh, the usual cast of charactors toolwise. The saw and rails probably made the most difference in handling the oak ply, the router for edge work and the sanders,..well for sanding. Since some of the project was done indoors, the system worked superbly as far dust collection goes.
    This is the last project done without the benefit of planer and jointer...thank God!
    I am currently working on a mission sofa, (with panels instead of rails).
    Now that I figured out how to post a pic (with some help), I will post some pics as I go along.

Bob
    bob m

Very classy, Bob!

I think QSWO just might be my favorite. Keep the pictures coming!
    Tony

Looks good, Bob. Is that a Craftsman house? The windows above look 'Craftsmany'...

KC

Very, Very nice.
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains

Thumbs up

Beautiful work Bob, I really like the warm & rich color. Are the glass panels beveled?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Beautiful Bob. And I especially like how the green wall sets off the finish. Very nice.
    Waymon...
    ...My heroes are not athletes, entertainers or politicians;
    ALL my heroes wear US Armed Forces uniforms...

[QUOTE=Kirk (KC) Constable]Looks good, Bob. Is that a Craftsman house? The windows above look 'Craftsmany'...

Kirk,

The house was built in 1925 and the style is a blend of styles; probably more of a Dutch colonial, but my wife and I do love the Craftsman look. She chose the pattern for the stained glass windows.

Bob
    bob m

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    Beautiful work Bob, I really like the warm & rich color. Are the glass panels beveled?

Bruce,

If you are referring to the glass panels in the bookcase, no, they are cut and "framed" with lead and set into a rabbet in the door. I then made the muntins (mullions?) for the glass. If I were to do it over, I would have done that part differently though - wasn't the look I was after.

Bob
    bob m