Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pretty new member (first post of my work)

Pretty new member (first post of my work)

Hey all,

Well, I've taken the plunge and am posting my work for the first time. These are just a couple of small projects but they are my first attempt at creating something really nice. You know, something nicer than building rough shop cabinets and stuff like that.

These are a clock for my father in-law and a foodsafe for my mother in-law. This is my first time using a router (for both projects) and for making box joints (the foodsafe).

I'd love to know what you all think of them. Except of course if you don't like them. Just kidding! Any feedback is appreciated.

(Hope I didn't get the pics too large).

Thanks all!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "When you earnestly believe that you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts,
    there is no end to what you can't do."

Hi Rob,

Nice work! The clock stand really looks nice.

I circled points on it that worry me a bit due to the "short grain" that is there. Does the clock pivot or turn on some axis there? I can't tell.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Hi Rob,

Nice work! The clock stand really looks nice.

I circled points on it that worry me a bit due to the "short grain" that is there. Does the clock pivot or turn on some axis there? I can't tell.

Yep, it spins on the those dowels. Actually I got the pattern from a clockmaking book and "upsized" it somewhat. So those "arms" are actually larger than the plans called for. They seem solid though so far (knock on wood). But I do see what you mean.
    "When you earnestly believe that you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts,

In case anyone is interested in the clock book it's called: The Complete Guide to Making Wooden Clocks: Traditional, Shaker & Contemporary Designs and it's ISBN number is 1565232089 (in case that link doesn't work for some reason).

Nice work Rob! I'm sure your in-laws will appreciate them.

John

Looking good, Rob. Welcome!

- Ed

Blog Entries
    Hey Rob,
    Your subject line says "Pretty new member" and you didn't post a picture of yourself to prove it Whas up with that? So prove to us you truly are a "pretty" new member.

Welcome to the Creek Rob.

Larry
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Nice work Rob! Welcome to the Creek!

Oh.... I Thought You Meant A New Member That Was Pretty

oh well.....
    welcome aboard!
    Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Rosenberg
    oh well.....
    welcome aboard!
    Howard

Howard (and Larry too),

Yeah I thought about that subject line right about the time that I hit the 'submit' button to post the thread

Hey Rob, Nice work & Welcome to the 'creek.

Stay friends with that router, it's a very versatile tool. Have you mounted it into a table yet? IMHO it works much better that way.

BTW, I'd be careful callin' myself 'pretty' with this bunch. (LOL)
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falotico
    Hey Rob, Nice work & Welcome to the 'creek.

Stay friends with that router, it's a very versatile tool. Have you mounted it into a table yet? IMHO it works much better that way.

BTW, I'd be careful callin' myself 'pretty' with this bunch. (LOL)

Yep, I created a smallish router table based of the bench top model that Rockler has. It was a heckuva lot cheaper than giving Rockler $90 for theirs - although if I were going to give a woodworking store $90, it would definitely be Rockler.

Sometime, I'll post some pics of my one-car garage shop where I created this stuff. It consists of basically, one shop built table, a couple of fold away saw-horses and two shop built wall cabinets. And it all has to be put away each time so we can park our van.

"I'll post some pics of my one-car garage shop"

"I'll post some pics of my shop " If you'll change it to read this way & use it this way the car won't be a problem any more. Can you say room for more tools. AH yes its a great day in the neighborhood.

Good looking work Rob.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Very nice work. As Tony said, stay friends with than router. It will do more than you can imagine. I, too, have a one car carage shop. So my router is my tenon cutter, mortise machine, circle and oval maker. In the past it even served as a jointer.
    Jim Stastny ~ Damascus, Maryland
    A poor workman blames his tools

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning
    Hey Rob,
    Your subject line says "Pretty new member" and you didn't post a picture of yourself to prove it Whas up with that? So prove to us you truly are a "pretty" new member.

Welcome to the Creek Rob.

Larry
    Larry LMAO!
    Welcome Rob to the Creek. Great place to hang out.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/