Hello Robert, I cannot answer your questions about the T3 but I do have the T7 and will give you my opinion. The majority of my sharpening is on chisels, plane irons, turning tools, knives and scissors, in that order. I would not want to be without the Tormek. That being said, it is not convenient for me to pull it out and set it up each time I need to sharpen a small number of tools as I do not have room for a dedicated station for it. However, I believe it does an outstanding job.

What I am using more and more since beginning to use a lathe is an idea I got from a turner on another forum. I also have a Grizzly 2” knife grinder that I adapted to hold the Tormek jigs on, which provides the same control as when using the Tormek. There is no setup time for me as it does have a dedicated space and in I believe it offers some substantial benefits. Good belts are reasonably inexpensive, it takes only a few seconds to change from one grit to another, all with the same settings and if one desires to buff, a cloth belt with buffing compound can be used and again, with no need for readjustment of any kind. For me, the variety of tools I need to sharpen makes this a no brainer. For a turner, if 80 or 120 grit grind is preferable, put that grit on, make a pass and it’s done. OTOH, if you like your chisels and plane irons buffed so you can see your nose hair, as I do, then take a few seconds and step through the grits and buffing. Another advantage, small as it may be, there is never any dressing of the wheel needed.

This is nothing more than another idea and if I find time to do as much turning as I would like, perhaps I will try the Wolverine systems that most turners seem to prefer. However, for the present time, I use the Tormek if I have many tools to sharpen and the knife grinder if I need fast and only a few.

If you find this interesting, I will be happy to answer any questions if I can and, I can provide pictures if desired.

Good luck with your decision, the Tormek is very expensive, in my opinion, but it is a quality tool that does an excellent job, plus being very versatile.