Thread: Using my new Osborne EB-3 mitre gauge....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    This begs the question what are the pros of the Osborne vs the Incra line?
    An excellent question.

I just bought the Incra, 1000 for $100 delivered.

Most things I have read suggest that the Osbourne is a better miter gauge. But it costs more ... anything from $20 to $60 more, and I wondered if it was really that much better.

The Incra appears to be well made, and the micro-adjustment is as much accuracy as a woodworker could want ....

I guess I would be very happy to use either, but budget dictates

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bracken View Post
    An excellent question.

I just bought the Incra, 1000 for $100 delivered.

Most things I have read suggest that the Osbourne is a better miter gauge. But it costs more ... anything from $20 to $60 more, and I wondered if it was really that much better.

The Incra appears to be well made, and the micro-adjustment is as much accuracy as a woodworker could want ....

I guess I would be very happy to use either, but budget dictates
    I had an Incra 1000 for about a week and sold it, it was just to bulky and did not work very well for me. You get it all set up with a fence on it and it just to big bulky for me. If you don't put a fence on it, it so slick you just can't use it.
    Another thing is once you get the scales all set up and you want to cut some 45s you have to move it back because it is square on the end, not cut at a 45 like the EB-3 is. Now you have to reset the scale all over again.

I have an Incra 1000-HD, and I think it's great. I just did the same as the OP today, cutting out the pieces for six cabinet drawers and then assembling them.
    - Kirk Simmons
    - Eagan, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I had an Incra 1000 for about a week and sold it, it was just to bulky and did not work very well for me. You get it all set up with a fence on it and it just to big bulky for me. If you don't put a fence on it, it so slick you just can't use it.
    Another thing is once you get the scales all set up and you want to cut some 45s you have to move it back because it is square on the end, not cut at a 45 like the EB-3 is. Now you have to reset the scale all over again.
    Well now .... One forgetful moment and the Incra will very soon be 45 degrees on the end.

Ken, I've had an EB-3 for two or three years now and it has worked very well for me. I will reverse that lock stop and flipper-stop, however as that just makes good sense.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln