Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using my new Osborne EB-3 mitre gauge....

Using my new Osborne EB-3 mitre gauge....

I am in the process of building a cabinet.

Cutting pieces for the faceframe using my new EB-3 was a dream.

I assembled it yesterday morning and calibrated it at 90º. Today it cut 90's beautifully and using the flip stop made cutting the rails all the same size...a dream.

I am satisfied!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-21-2010 at 8:59 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I am satisfied!
    I've had mine for a few years. They are nice.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Glad to hear it Ken!!

I've been happy with mine for 3+ years.

Cheers!
    Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Wondered which one you had decided on. Congrats. Now where's the pictures??? Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I just ordered a EB3 miter gauge, cant wait to get it.

Any tips for setting it up or using it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Ken:

I think I read a post some time in the past that stated that you need to move something from the left to the right on the EB-3. Please comment on this as I will be ordering one next week. I re-stock my shop during the summer months with supplies and goodies. No woodworking due to the 105 to 115 degree heat here in the south west. I save the A/C and electric for the house.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

I use mine primarily to the left of the blade. Bill Huber pointed out that the flip stop works better if you reverse it's assembly. So.....the part with the mechanical lock/stop is to the left and then "flipper" is to the right.

I assembled mine that way and it works great.

The accuracy and repeatability is incredible. I am just about finished with another rolling cabinet for my shop. Using the EB-3 the drawers....everything I used it on came out incredibly square. I am impressed!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Don Selke View Post
    Hi Ken:

I think I read a post some time in the past that stated that you need to move something from the left to the right on the EB-3. Please comment on this as I will be ordering one next week. I re-stock my shop during the summer months with supplies and goodies. No woodworking due to the 105 to 115 degree heat here in the south west. I save the A/C and electric for the house.
    If you switch from one miter track to the other, you remove the fence and swing the arm to the other side. 2 thumb nuts hold it. One magazine review I read, (Wood) said you had to use the back of the fence to do that. So much for the dummies at Wood.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Thanks guys, I will remember that.

Happy Dads Day
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

Blog Entries
    I've also had mine for a few years and really like it. When I bought mine though, they were $159, but I have no regrets. A friend has a Incra 1000 and while it's nice, he seems to like using my EB3 more.

This begs the question what are the pros of the Osborne vs the Incra line?

12. Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    This begs the question what are the pros of the Osborne vs the Incra line?
    An excellent question.

I just bought the Incra, 1000 for $100 delivered.

Most things I have read suggest that the Osbourne is a better miter gauge. But it costs more ... anything from $20 to $60 more, and I wondered if it was really that much better.

The Incra appears to be well made, and the micro-adjustment is as much accuracy as a woodworker could want ....

I guess I would be very happy to use either, but budget dictates

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bracken View Post
    An excellent question.

I just bought the Incra, 1000 for $100 delivered.

Most things I have read suggest that the Osbourne is a better miter gauge. But it costs more ... anything from $20 to $60 more, and I wondered if it was really that much better.

The Incra appears to be well made, and the micro-adjustment is as much accuracy as a woodworker could want ....

I guess I would be very happy to use either, but budget dictates
    I had an Incra 1000 for about a week and sold it, it was just to bulky and did not work very well for me. You get it all set up with a fence on it and it just to big bulky for me. If you don't put a fence on it, it so slick you just can't use it.
    Another thing is once you get the scales all set up and you want to cut some 45s you have to move it back because it is square on the end, not cut at a 45 like the EB-3 is. Now you have to reset the scale all over again.

I have an Incra 1000-HD, and I think it's great. I just did the same as the OP today, cutting out the pieces for six cabinet drawers and then assembling them.
    - Kirk Simmons
    - Eagan, MN

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Ken Fitzgerald;1450315]I use mine primarily to the left of the blade. Bill Huber pointed out that the flip stop works better if you reverse it's assembly. So.....the part with the mechanical lock/stop is to the left and then "flipper" is to the right.

I assembled mine that way and it works great.

QUOTE]

I never thought of that - went out and did the same today and took just a minute or so. Thanks Bill.