Thread: Table Saw use with Generator - Issues

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It should actually turn the same speed all the time. As the load increases, it becomes harder to turn the generator, and the throttle opens, keeping the speed constant. I suspect they just use a centrifugal governor to keep the RPMs constant. I just mention it so he doesn't think something is wrong with his generator when it's actually running perfectly.

Inrush current!!! Your generator probably has plenty of power to run the motor, but not enough to start it. The three hp motor uses approx. 15 amps when running, but may need 50 or more amps to start. The low voltage created by the inrush current draw has burned up the contacts in the magnetic starter. They are not replaceable! You will have to replace the entire magnetic starter, it only comes as a unit. You are starting the motor on low voltage by forcing the the contacts closed. The heat generated in the motor this way can cause failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Craft View Post
    Inrush current!!! Your generator probably has plenty of power to run the motor, but not enough to start it. The three hp motor uses approx. 15 amps when running, but may need 50 or more amps to start. The low voltage created by the inrush current draw has burned up the contacts in the magnetic starter. They are not replaceable! You will have to replace the entire magnetic starter, it only comes as a unit. You are starting the motor on low voltage by forcing the the contacts closed. The heat generated in the motor this way can cause failure.
    Larry, thanks for the explanation. That's what I was looking for. I looked into the on/off switch portion of the magnetic switch. I can buy it online for $1.88. So, I do have options and this may be the first thing I try.