Thread: Veritas Wonder Dogs

Veritas Wonder Dogs

Has anyone used these? When I put the MDF top on my workbench, I want to keep the hardware minimal because it will only be in service for a short while. I'm thinking I will mount an inexpensive front vise, but I'd like to come up with an alternative to a tail vise.

Has anyone had successful experience with using, for example, a bench stop and holdfast for planing? I looked at the Wonder Dogs on the Lee Valley site, and they look like they might work, but I'm hoping someone has had first-hand experience and can advise as to the pros and cons.

Thanks!

Erin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    For all your days prepare and treat them ever alike. When you are the anvil, bear; When you are the hammer, strike.

Hi- I have one and love it. It is useful in all sorts of arrangements. I often lock a board between it and a regular bench dog (3/4" bolt) to plane, carve etc.
    -Howard

Erin,
    I have a pair of these, in addition to a traditional tail vise. So, I dont use one for the work of a tail vise, but it would work fine in that configuration. I use them for mid-board clamps both for glue ups and for holding odd shaped pieces. They are well made. My bench top has a series of holes, 3/4" dia., which hold either those, or the round LV dogs of brass. I have 4 of the dogs, and 2 of the WD's. They are not use don a daily basis, but when you need them, they are quite handy.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Erin,

I have the wonder pup...shorter version of the dogs. I love it. I don't have a tail vise so I use them on anything longer than what will fit in my front vise and they have done very well.

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have the wonder dog and love it. I made a little bench hook for planing tenons and use the WD to clamp things in place. It is a really useful tool.

Mike

Wonder Dog works well for me

I'm just a beginner, but it works well for me. My first project was a workbench and couldn't justify the cost of an tail vise. So I bought a Wonder Dog and it has worked great.
    Last edited by Bill Wiggins; 05-11-2005 at 1:16 PM. Reason: wrong term used
    Bill Smith

----------------------------
    If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving!

I don't have a tail vise either but do have a pair of these. I am a big fan of Veritas products, they are well thought out and engineered so. They find many uses on the bench.

Another vote of confidence.......

I have a "wonder pup" and use it as a tail vise.... works well........

On a down side, it's not for planing thin stock, as the brass head it too thick -- but overall a good tool.

Well, after all this great feedback, I'm convinced! Just placed my order to Lee Valley for two Wonder Pup combinations and two pairs of muzzles. I somehow managed to exercise great restraint and restricted my order to these items.

Thanks for the help with making this decision!

Erin
    For all your days prepare and treat them ever alike. When you are the anvil, bear; When you are the hammer, strike.

Erin,
    You might want to try the Veritas hold downs too.They work great and will hold your work firmly in place.

Brent

I have two of the smaller ones as well as the short brass dogs (with rubber covers) for my bench. Very happy with them. Well-made product which is to be expected with the Veritas brand from Lee Valley.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Raasch
    Well, after all this great feedback, I'm convinced! Just placed my order to Lee Valley for two Wonder Pup combinations and two pairs of muzzles. I somehow managed to exercise great restraint and restricted my order to these items.

Thanks for the help with making this decision!

Erin
    I'll say you exercised restraint. Not even a medium shoulder plane thrown in.

I'm somewhat material securing challenged at this point, myself.
    Someone said the real test of a craftsman is his ability to recover from his mistakes. I'm practicing real hard for that test.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Palmer

I'm somewhat material securing challenged at this point, myself.

I almost have to prohibit the LV web site on my PC, dangerous!

Of course, now I need to go evaluate the WDs to see if everyone is giving Erin good advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Palmer
    But it is on my Wish List . . . soon as the paychecks from my part-time job start rolling in, it's going in the shopping cart. I got to wanting one real bad while I was making all the tenons for this workbench trestle!

Erin
    Last edited by Erin Raasch; 05-12-2005 at 1:39 PM.

Yeah, I tend to buy tools based on the last project. The radius plane I got recently was because I could have really used one for the bent wood parts on the booksellers table I did a while back. I must say, though, that the shoulder plane will find many more uses than the radius plane. Gotta find a project to justify that one.
    Someone said the real test of a craftsman is his ability to recover from his mistakes. I'm practicing real hard for that test.