I've had three diesel cars. The first was a '74 Peugeot 504 wagon (no turbo). It got 340,000 miles on the original engine with essentially oil changes and standard maintenance. I was killed by bad fuel in Sprague Washington in 1987. We now have two diesel. LOML has a Jetta Wagon TDI - single turbo. Very nice. I have a BMW 335d - twin turbo. The technology of diesels in Europe is far above others. When I have rented a car in Europe it is almost always a diesel. They run much smoother than the older technologies. The accelleration is better and is less damaging environmentally. The low sulpher fuel doesn't smell like the older version. So far, no repairs and maintenance was included in the purchase.

My wife averages 36-37 mpg. I average ~34 though I have gotten 42 on an open highway. No my car wouldn't out perform my S2000 that I traded in, but is doesn't lack in performance. My car has 265 BHP and 490 ft-lbs of torque. Diesel here costs somewhere between the price of 87 to 89 octane.

My only real wish is that BMW would import the 135d GT (hatchback). I like small cars, even though I am tall. That is a truly excellent vehicle.