Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor Jack

Poor Jack

We had a Jack Russell terrier that wandered into our driveway about six years ago. Couldn't find an owner, probably dumped, so we kept him as a pal for our aging black lab, now 15 1/2.

Last night, 1:30 AM, I heard what sounded like a rabbit that had been caught by a predator, like maybe Jack. It went on for a while, stopped, then again. I went out and looked around the yard for a dead rabbit, and found nothing. Couldn't find Jack either, until he finally appeared at my side, all torn up with deep lacerations, trachea damage and lots of puncture wounds. I took him inside and cleaned the wounds, which needed stitches.

Woke up the wife, and we took him to an all night animal hospital. They said it would be about $1,000 for the initial treatment, then ongoing treatments, and they had to run a multitude of tests for internal damage, as well as his throat. Then, the results were questionable, not promising. We had them put the poor pup down.

My first thought was that it was an owl, because of one really deep, clean cut, like from claws, then we discovered the other damage. It could have been a raccoon, but we suspect it was probably a coyote, although we don't know why he wasn't carried off.

Molly, who is getting blind, and deaf, is sorta lost today. She slept through the whole incident. For the last year she has let Jack lead, and just followed him around.

Rick Potter
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 08-02-2013 at 2:19 PM.

Sad story, sorry for your loss. Dogs are freak pets.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

I'm sorry for you, your wife and Molly's loss. It's never easy to witness an animal in distress and injured and not be able to ease their pain. I have seen raccoons do some vicious damage as well as coyotes. I have friends who have had their small dogs injured by coyotes similar to what you describe Jack went thru. I have also had friends who had their large dogs lured into the fields & woods by a single coyote, only to be attacked by a pack of coyotes. I have witnessed the aftermath of both raccoons and coyotes and sometimes, they kill just for sport.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

What a terrible way to go (the attack, not being put to sleep).

I've only had to deal with an emergency animal hospital once, but they did a great job communicating to me that it didn't look good for my older lab, and did not encourage me spending a lot of money and prolonging the dog's discomfort.

Blog Entries
    Sorry for your loss.

My love for many companions has resulted in similar feelings of grief. But never enough to stop me from befriending another.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I am so sorry. It is terrible when you need to put a friend down. I'll wager it was a coyote or a mountain lion. Coyotes kill many small animals around here. Outdoor cats with bells are especially targeted. I feel bad for your other dog as well. Animals grieve as well.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Dear Rick, please accept my condolences on the loss of you cannine companion, I'm sure he'll be greatly missed...........Rod.

Sorry for your loss. I totally understand how hard it can be. I have 2 small dogs (together they weigh about 10lbs.), they are never outside
    in our yard by themselves. We have a 6 ft block wall around our yard, but that is not enough to keep the owls, coyotes, bobcats etc. out of
    the yard.
    Lori K

Rick, my wife Kathy and I are very sorry for your loss. We hope that your sad experience does not keep you from finding another companion to love and share your life with.

Very sorry for your loss. My dog is my best friend these days.

I appreciate the condolences, thank you.

Last nite I heard a cat wail, and got up and put Molly, our 15 1/2 year old black lab, in the garage. Just in case the coyote came back to look around again. Molly is lonesome, and since she is so old, we have decided to look for a large dog, probably lab, to be her companion and eventually replace her. She can still train it to stay in the yard etc. Later, will get another medium size dog, as we like to have two for companionship.

I cannot remember not having a dog,

Rick Potter

Blog Entries
    I'm very sorry Rick. A good dog does truly become part of the family. Other animals too I'm sure.

Good of you to look out for Molly and try to find her a companion.

PHM

He got six great years with you.

Pretty good for the Jack Russel.
    If his mortal wounds were that bad, I hate to think what he did to the coyote.

God rest his soul, sounds like he was a great dog.

My wife and daughter took me to three shelters today. Found out two facts. 1. Labs are hard to find, usually adopted in a couple days. 2. Pitt mixes abound and are very hard to place...sad.

Then my daughter looked on the net for rescue dogs. She fell in love with every one of them. I told them to relax a little, the right one will show up soon. I have narrowed down my perfect dog. Lab or Lab mix, at least 60#, female, about two years old, likes people of all sizes, very protective, hates coyotes, and most importantly....has not had all the spirit beaten out of her like so many we saw today.

They will probably surprise me with a Beagle.

Rick Potter

Sorry for your loss Rick. Do you leave your dogs out at night or do you have a doggie door, just curious?