Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with small garage shop layout

I worked in a TINY space for many years. While I understand the desire to kick out the table saw because it takes up space, I am not sure I would rush down that road too quickly. In my small space I worked without a bench! Yup! No bench. The table saw top became my flat space for clamping things in place for work, doing glue ups, laying out pieces, and performing any task which required a flat space, or even simply the 'other end' of support for a door or long board. I am not recommending it, but it works. And don't overlook the fact that you can do a LOT of things with a table saw. Go for a one HP saw, small wings, and mobile base. High quality jig saw will do many of the things which a band saw accomplishes.

how often are you going to need a 60" x-cut (or rip) capacity? or rather need a fence setup at 60". My fence only goes to 30" to the right of the blade, but I can easily hang a board several feet (w/ support) off the TS and still make the necessary cuts. Breaking down plywood sheets is a beast, but since I rarely use plywood, it's not an issue for me. I usually have folks at the lumber yard, borg, etc cut them down to more manageable pieces for me anyways, otherwise a track saw or circular saw works well.

FWIW, I'm in a one-car garage w/ TS, BS, jointer, planer, small router table, drill press, and DC (but no car!). If I were to drop a tool from the list, it would be the jointer. I view the others as indispensable, particularly the TS; the jointer makes work quicker, but is not a necessity imo. I also have a 2.5x 6 ft workbench as well as vertically stored lumber to boot. surprisingly, I still have room to work! Like others, my tools are all mobile. My TS is near the garage door. For long boards (4+ft), I open the garage door. For long x-cuts (4+ft), I rotate the saw 90 degrees, but for me these are rare. (Note I build tables, dressers, night stands, bookcases, etc for around the house). If you'd like a photo, let me know, I'd be happy to snap one and post.

Sam

The biggest thing with the Table saw is that even with a mobile base; there is not a good spot for it given the garage dimensions to push it against a wall. Also if I went that route I was looking at the Sawstop PCS with only a 30" fence which is the only one I can seem to fit at 44" wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    My garage is smaller than yours and I can make it work. I have a table saw with folding outfeed table. 14" bandsaw, planer, drill press, router table, drum sander, soldering / rock cutting / polshing area, spindle sander, work benches, hand tool storage, dust collector, wood storage, and a freezer. We park two cars in it. Most everything is mobile and most items have some storage incorporated below (mobile - drum sander has hand tool storage below, mobile - planer has cauls and blacksmithing tools below). You'll note I don't have a jointer (use a plane). I am also considering ditching the router table.

With limited space, you need to think through your work to minimize the tools out at any given time. I am a blended woodworker and mostly do joinery by hand. The most frustrating thing to move around is the woodworking bench. The top is ~130 lbs and I lift to set on sawhorses. You don't need to figure it out all at once. Start with the essential tools and go from there.
    Get the Rockler caster set for work benches. I just made a Roubo bench with Jeff Miller. Same design he used in the FWW issue. I added them to my ash bench and they work like a charm.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Radke View Post
    Get the Rockler caster set for work benches. I just made a Roubo bench with Jeff Miller. Same design he used in the FWW issue. I added them to my ash bench and they work like a charm.
    I like the idea, but I need to take something out to have a bench permanantly set up. Currently, I lean the top against the wall. The sawhorses sit in the side yard. SWMBO wants me to take out the bathroom in her jewelry / sewing shop for the soldering / polishing station. Somewhat tempting...
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"