Thread: Any stair guys in the audience tonight? Winder info needed.'m

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Over a certain total rise, I think a landing is required as well. I ended up getting a metal circular staircase for the shop above my garage due to the high garage ceiling and requirement for a landing. The code requirement for circular stairs provides a few options not available otherwise.

Is this stair coming from shop space? Think I would consider getting a pull down attic stair (ladder).

Years ago I had a shouting match with a home builder about winders. I showed him the international building code, and he basically laughed me off. The next day, I called the inspector and he laughed me off. I emailed the inspector the code section and a picture of the stairs, and his response was "I'll get back to you in a few minutes".

Long story short, the following morning, the builder had his guys out there making it right. The point being that the builder and inspector were professionals, with LOTS of experience, but this is a very tricky matter, and the code needs to be looked at very carefully.