Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

20 July 2015

Good Morning Everyone,
    I come off of oncall duty in less than 2 hours and then I'll be a free man once again.
    I'm not getting as much time on the guitar project as I had hoped but it is staying near 110 degrees F in my shop now days, so I'll do what I can in the house and just wait until mid-to-late September before opening my shop up for woodworking again. The LOML and the LOML Jr finished their last class and they passed their final exam and they will be awarded their Master Gardener certificate and name badge this coming Saturday. I'm so proud of them both for doing this and they really enjoyed taking classes on something they really enjoy doing.

Today is my day off....I have some things I need to get done today and tonight..???? I get to sleep really good.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    I got back from vacation late last week and have been having a terrible time esleeping. Even before I left, I was only getting maybe 4 hours of sleep at night. I am still not sleeping well. Saturday it decided to rain in california with the Pacific hurricane moving north. We prepared by closing windows. It rained on and off over the next two days. We spent time cleaning house, tending to our son's sick dog, and general futzing about the house. I watched the USA CONCACAF cup game and the two sunday games. The Mexico Game outcome was Bo-o-Gus (to quote The Tappet Brothers). LOML wanted to see Minions, so off to the movies we went. The only woodworking was me rigging up a cart top for LOML's vcuum apparatus set-up for the club shop. All in all, a nice weekend.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    Made some progress on my next workbench. Enjoyed the rain.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I started two short bookshelves for my wife's office. They will fit up against a short wall in her attic office and can only be 34 inches high. She wants them 16 inches deep, of pine, and pickled. Saturday was getting boards and gluing them up to the 16 inch width. I used my tracksaw (DeWalt) to get straight edges for gluing. This worked well. 6 clampups later I had what I thought was enough (turns out I mis-calculated when I switched from 12 foot boards due to quality at two local big-box sources). Sunday afternoon was cutting to size, making the rabbet joint for the back, and drilling holes for the one shelf. I was going to start sanding the inside but my wife decide she needed something else done. My shop was 90+ but shaded so I only dripped on the wood a little. During glue-up, cool off was when the glue was curing. Sunday I had to take breaks every 1-2 hours. I may have to add a window unit but so far, I am just getting sweaty.

I hope to add the shelf I ran out of material for during the evenings and sand the inside of at least the smaller shelf so I can start gluing up the cases by next weekend. My wife has no idea how long this stuff takes. I haven't built anything of softwood in awhile and am hoping sanding isn't too bad.

My track saw has done all the cutting to size so far. I like my table saw but the pieces for this are fairly large and the track saw works well.

I managed to assemble and paint my Lawn lighthouse that I had been working on , I followed Myk Rian's jig design(for lighthouse sides) which made it an easy and fun project to work on:
    LH2 (Medium).jpg

Trimmed and sanded cypress panels for the sides of a chest on chest (the one from New Yankee Worshop. Always wanted to make it, think I've finally got the skills and tools to do it), rabbetted them, and glued up the pine panels for the tops and bottoms. Now if I only had a 32 in. sanding drum machine Someday.

Saturday was my 40th HS reunion and it was very enjoyable to catch up with folks in person. Given it was so stinky hot and humid on Sunday, outside of mowing the lawn, I headed to the shop with the AC turned on to deal with at least the humidity, did some post-project shop cleanup and organization and then spent a little time crafting the wood handle for a knife kit I picked up for myself awhile back...a gentlemen who did a shop visit to see MiniMax equipment in-person gave me a gift card for Woodcraft and since I really didn't actually "need" anything from the store, I opted for the knife kit to do something different and actually make something for myself. I'm pleased with the results. Sometimes, it's nice to do a quiet, small project just to chill out...especially when the weather outside is "not nice"... Handle is from scraps of PurpleHeart. If I ever make any more of these, I'll skip the rivets and just use epoxy.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I finally got around (after a few weeks) to assembling the Jet cabinet saw that I bought off Craigslist from someone who was moving. Because my shop is in the basement, I had to take the fence, wings and cast iron top off just to get it down the stairs. So this past weekend I cleaned and lubricated the trunnion and the tilt and height adjustments screws, installed and aligned the cast iron top, then installed the front and rear fence rails. The saw came set up to rip 50" to the right of the blade, but my shop is too small for that so I had to cut the rails down so that I now have a 30" rip capability. Thankfully, cutting the rails was not as hard as I thought it would be thanks to a brand new blade in my reciprocating saw.

Once I got the fence rails cut down I cut down and reassembled the extension table, then installed an aluminum router plate that I got from Rockler.

IMG_0310.jpgIMG_0311.jpg

Now I just need to put the extension legs back on (after I cut them down and install a caster on the bottom of each), install a miter gauge track and fence for the router, run 220v power to my shop, then sell my vintage Craftsman table saw. Then I can get started on my wife's "wish list"!
    Last edited by Scott Wadland; 07-21-2015 at 8:33 PM.

photo 2.JPGphoto 4.JPGFinally completed the walnut chairs that goes with the walnut table that I made last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Elliott View Post
    photo 2.JPGphoto 4.JPGFinally completed the walnut chairs that goes with the walnut table that I made last year.

Very nice looking table and chairs.
    Chuck Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Elliott View Post
    awesome, I have some walnut air drying in my barn, I would love to make a kitchen table and chairs, I just don't think i have skills/patience/energy to make the chairs.

Chairs do take time - lot of compound angles. Lot of templates. Did a pine prototype before I started cutting walnut.