This isn't a woodworking question, but since everyone here seems really helpful and like a great crowd, I thought I would give it a shot. Not to mention that most of the members use power tools as often as possible...

I recently moved to Texas after residing in NM for my entire life and as part of the move had to get Texas registration on my truck. Well, everything went fine, got the DL, the registration, the insurance, but after I got home I got into a snag. I can't get the NM plate off my truck (1994 Toyota Pickup).

Little back information: we (my family) got the truck in 1994 and put the NM plate on it. Since then this truck has been subjected to every type of weather out there and all sorts of corrosive chemicals on the roadways due to ice and snow. Because of this - and the fact the bolts haven't been touched for 15 years - they are stuck fast.

I have tried doucing the bolts in WD40 and letting it sit over night then hitting it again before re-attempting to remove the bolts, but all to no avail. And in the process of one of the many attempts I have managed to strip one of the heads. So I went a step farther and attempted to drill out a bolt, but still no luck. The last attempt even started to melt the plastic cover. So as of now I am stuck with dual plates on the truck (that don't match), two very rusted and now stripped bolts, and not a clue as to my next step (other than go to a mechanic and beg for help ).

Any ideas?

Oh, and I want to keep the plate and plastic cover for my mom since this was her truck and has meaning (its name is Smokey ). We also have a front plate that says "Mom's Truck". I intend to take all these and make a display box for her when I get a chance (maybe as an xmas gift). Any ideas on this as well?

i appreciate any help that you guys can provide.

Shannon