Thread: color filling partical board plaques

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I guess my point in ll of this is that it is a slippery slope. When you start using particle board, then you start to think about cardboard.... or as the forum member said, brass plated steel.

“There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.”(John Ruskin)

I would like to think that I sell the best that can be made rather than the cheapest. In 35 years, I have done very well adhering to this policy. True, times are hard, and work is hard to come by. Still, I am proud of what I do, and find it easier to sell quality than low price. The problem with particle board and brass plated steel is that it can look beautiful to the uninformed customer.... until it gets dropped on a corner, or the lettering starts to rust.

We make a lot of awards for a university. The people that get these awards have spent a lot of their life working in their fields before they get one of these awards. It means a great deal to them to get one, often at a banquet attended by hundreds of their contemporaries. I would be ashamed to provide an award that I knew was poor quality, just to save 5 or 10 dollars on materials.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Winlund; 08-03-2010 at 4:31 PM. Reason: formatting
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.