I've got a table build underway, with ~3/4" hickory as the main material for the top, but thicker 1-1/2" mahogany on the edges... As a result, I'm having a conundrum trying to decide how to do my breadboard end.

I've come up with what I think is a clever solution that makes it work well but I'm not sure. Looking for feedback on Option 1, 2, or 3 from this sketch.

1. Option 1: Basically #1 is to do the groove at a normal depth (1/3 of the hickory, so it is at 1/4", then 1/4" grooves and tenons, then 1/4" more table). This places the groove "off-center" on the mahogany, but centers it for the thinner hickory.
  2. Option 2: Instead of a full tongue, I cut a rabbett to 3/8" of the hickory, and that goes in the groove, plus longer tenon sections. I can even make the mahogany have a supportive lip underneath the rabbet in this case.
  3. Option 3: Do either of the above, but hide the groove by stopping it short... although I kind of want to show off the groove so I don't love this idea (my first "real" project, so I want to show off all the extra work I've done, not hide it!!!)
  4. Other Options I missed?

I am doing everything by hand so one issue is that my combination plane only has 3/8" or 1/4" cutter for the groove, so those are the dimensions I have to work with there (plus it matches my chisels for the mortise).

My big worry with #1 is the fairly thin tongue/tenons getting snapped off. #2 is goofier, and I've never seen anything like it, but gives some more meat to the construction.

Whats everybodies two cents?

Sketch below:breadboard section sketches.jpg