Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
Somebody said that history is written by the victors.

It is very interesting how some writers can go into great detail about how a statesman's personal experiences/family life, etc influences the decisions that they make that effect so many others.

I had the poor judgment to ask a British fellow a few years ago what the Brits did on July 4th. Of course, he was mildly offended, and shot back, 'what do you expect, us to cry in our beer?' An awkward moment.

#1 above is precisely why Washington is so deserving of his status. Look around the world, how many times does someone lead a revolution, then turn over the reins?

That was immediately after the war formally ended. He did it again after his second term, right?
I am not an historian, but I believe you are correct. After the war, many (most?) wanted Washington as King. He said no. Then after the Constitutional Convention, he served two terms as president and stepped down. He could have stayed in office for the rest of his life, but didn't. I cannot think of any time in history when some voluntarily gave up power.

Consider that every four years, perhaps eight when the president is re-elected, he steps down. Perhaps the most powerful person in the world now, just steps down. After 200+ years, we have precedent and the expectations of what takes place. The military would not support a departing president who wanted to stay in power, but 200 years ago, that was not the case. It is simply a miracle that it evolved the way it did.