Thread: Buying and Cleaning Woodys

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Buying and Cleaning Woodys

I am far from an expert on woodys so if any one can enlighten me please do...

Below is several pics of planes I just won last week..
    (drive by gloat)

I was lucky and got this whole lot for $264 delivered

98% of the planes are a very good english maker W. Greenslade Bristol and 98% of the planes are marked with only one owners name Bm (Benjamin) Roberts the other 2% Wm (William) Thomas' name as well This is pretty rare to fine these many one owner planes at least for me

You can se the Hollows and Round planes have been lighty sanded to remove the dirt.. They looked just like the beading planes and after I applied the Bri-Wax and polished the with a cotton cloth.. I think the transformation is stunning..

There are five Beading Planes mostly used by Carpenters not cabinet makers from what I read and three Molding planes used by cabinet makers and carpenters

Home made marking gauges and 2/3s of a Moving Filister Plane Chopped Up and shaped into a rabbit plane..

I'll go over what stamps say ..
    All but two planes are stamped
    W Greenslade Bristol, England. It was a long-live company
    (1828-1937) and one of the last to make wooden planes.

The Smoother is makers Henry Thomas Birmigham and Street Address
    Trying plane is unstamped execpt Ohio Tool Co. on blade..

About 1/2 Greenslades are stamped Exhibition Medals London 1862 and Dublin1885 this dates the plane to between 1865 and 1880..

Some have a double stamps that says EJ Griffith's Iron Monger Llanelly on the tail with W Greenslade on the toe.. A monger is a Worker so maybe they just made the blades..

All planes are stamped with owners mark Bm Roberts and 2% with Wm Thomas name as well Roberts..

I have three marking gauges stamped Roberts and just a base of one marked Thomas

Here you can see the Rays of quarter saw Beech I just read in a magazine where it showed what looked like cracks that ran with the grain as beening Rays and also showed Vessels like Mahogany has.. I always thought Rays are the vertical figure you see clear on the first plane, not long horozontal crack like (vessel) lines, that look like the short vessel lines in mahogany...

Here are three modling planes that often go for big $$
    These go for about $30-$40 each in this size, wider planes as much as $100 or higher..

Beading plane profiles seen above.. Often the least expensive, about $10-$15 each

Here is the 2 1/2" smoother, when buying woodys you want to make sure there are NO CRACKS (Checks) if possible..

The longer trying plane near begining is the only US made plane and is not owner marked and was full of checks.. The blade had only 1/16" before it was all used up.. It had checks on sole and both ends but not super bad but not worth buying... By looking at the photos of the Trying plane in in pictures at top it looks to be the best condtion plane of the lot as it is not been cleaned.. So remember to make sure you get pics of toe, heel and sole before buying a woody..

All in all I am so happy with these planes and seller inclused the home made making gauges as well..

I just wish these planes could talk

Have a good day I did...
    Last edited by Johnny Kleso; 07-20-2008 at 10:08 AM.
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource