Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Faith in Wixley Digital Angle Gauge??

Problem with checking with wixey is that it has only 2" for reference. Best scenario is to have steel bar about 2 feet long that has parallel faces and is straight. Lay edge of bar in front of blade and the other end where you lay your wood. Put wixey near blade on bar. Zero wixey and then take off of bar and onto blade. That should give better reading. Clifford.

From what I gather by my non-scientific tests, the Wixey seems to be pretty accurate.

Mine seems to burn through batteries though. I may have used it 6-8 times and had to replace the battery. I'm wondering if the auto shutoff really works...
    "Less is more." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

I'm on my second battery. Mine is around a year old I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Shew View Post
    From what I gather by my non-scientific tests, the Wixey seems to be pretty accurate.

Mine seems to burn through batteries though. I may have used it 6-8 times and had to replace the battery. I'm wondering if the auto shutoff really works...
    There have been reports of this being a problem. Give Wixy a call. Reports have said they will replace it for you.
    A battery should last about 6 months. The auto off turns off the display only. The battery will have a constant drain on it to maintain the calibration of the unit.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I turn mine off every time. Battery has lasted almost a year now.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Shew View Post

One of the reasons I purchased the Beall unit was the 9 volt battery it uses. Since mine is new, I have no idea what the battery life will be.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I'm with Steve. I use about one battery per year in the Wixey but, there are varying qualities of batteries, don't go cheap. I haven't changed the Beall yet and it's been about a year. They both seem fine but the Beall is more granular; it also takes longer to stabilize but that makes sense.

I trust them both and am glad to have them. If I am doing something where a single hundredth of a degree is going to be a problem, I am porobably NOT using either of these handy little boxes ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-08-2009 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Spelling fix ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Dollar Tree often has a card of three 2032 lithium batteries for a buck. At that price buy several. But I think I remember that Wixey replaced some of the earlier units for free.