Thread: How's the Economy for You?

Smile How's the Economy for You?

Just checking to see what the economy outlook is for others out there in the lasering world. We run a small shop in Alabama and haven't really felt any drop in our products. We customize templates for prisons, but also handle some trophies and plaques. Just thouhgt I'd ask how others are doing.
    Eric Jackson
    Turned Treasure's Inc.
    Director, River Region Chaplain Service
    Titus 2:7,"..be an example unto them by doing good deeds of everykind. Let everything you do reflect the integrity and seriousness of your teaching."

All doom and gloom in NY.....and people are very worried about losing their jobs.....our employment "section" of the paper is down to about TWO pages now.......there aren't many companies hiring.

So what is a prison template?
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

My buisness is dead in the water.
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

So far, Canada has not been hit as hard as the U.S. One thing that is helping, is the Canadian dollar is down about 20% compared to the USBuck, so my American sales are are starting to climb again. Back from the big slump in U.S. orders back when the Canabuck was 10% above the US$ .. Last year was the second best year I've had in the last 20, and January so far has been very busy, and I hope it continues. I'm currently working with a 8 -15 business day turnaround, depending on my backlog, and what it is.. I'm just hoping gas prices stay down.. Oil was $37 a barrel this morning and thats good news for everyone but the oil companies..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

With the economy, normal holiday slow period, record snow followed by flooding, my sign orders in December were at an all-time (15 year) low.
    The laser side was not much better. So far this month things are a lot
    busier but still not close to normal. Customers are just not spending the money like they used to. Seems like every day I see one of my customers going out of business.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I am ending my first year in the sign and engraving business so it is hard for me to compare. I am still picking up new customers but it could be better.

Mine is a little slow but I carried over a large amount from Dec. so I'll have a very big month. But I'll have to go some to break even with Jan to Jan orders.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Fishing Out of Another Hole

We have been very busy. About 2 years ago, we decided some things have to change for our future. We started doing more laser systems service and spare parts sales. Machine sales might be off a little bit, but the service side of things has grown. Spare parts sales have been fairly strong. We can't carry everything, but a few odd parts have been OK. We are now trying to figure how to expand the service side of things. So far, we have concentrated on the upper Midwest, but I think that can grow. We have to go to the Caribbean for a week to install, train and service a couple of machines in February. We have written to a couple of the laser systems manufactures and offered our services for those far away places, but I think they think we are just trying to get out of the cold weather for a while. (Who would want to leave 11 below 0 F.)

So if anyone needs some service to be performed, and better yet, if we could do a few in an area to share expenses, we are available. Now that the kids are gone, the dogs are gone, we could be gone.

Economy

It started in the spring of 08
    they canceled the spring shows ( 2 )
    had no orders for the summer
    guess people were buying gas instead
    fall wasn't to bad but all sales were cash
    no credit cards.
    the christmas season was OK but not great
    I've started off the new year with a few sales
    but nothing to make me retire yet :-(

ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bosworth View Post
    We have to go to the Caribbean for a week to install, train and service a couple of machines in February.

Wow, Rob, the sacrifices you make for your business! THAT'S dedication!

But seriously, I personally am glad to see more people get into the service end instead of just sales - we "users" prefer to talk face to face. As nice as the Epilog phone tech people are, I really like getting a house call from my friendly tech guy.

I wish you even greater success for 2009!

Oh yeah...answering the original post: my biz is about the same, even though the economy is tight. This is due to my work being a small niche and the type of customers I have are more comfortable than the average person.

cheers, dee
    Last edited by Dee Gallo; 01-14-2009 at 10:58 AM.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Although my Christmas sales were down very slightly over last year, the overall year still finished up about 30% higher than last year. I'm in the January lull right now as well, but I've got the military base still trickeling in enough to cover the cost of doing business...

I'm still in that unique position of BRAC where we're loosing 10,000ish basic training soldiers in exchange for 6,500ish junior to senior level soldiers (four new General level Commands moving in along with other types of units). Translation - 10,000 that never get a plaque to 6,500 which everyone of them will get some kind of shadowbox, plaque, or something in between when they get out, retire or change to their next duty station....

That transition hasn't started yet, but will soon. Starting about spring time, there will be a high amount of retirements from the civilian personnel that don't want to move with their current units as they leave - most will get something, there's going to be some ceremonial events to roll up the units etc... And there are the Soldiers that are leaving right now to pre-position at the new locations for the leaving units...

Not only that - we've got a big unit over in Iraq right now that's about half way done, and they are already pre-ordering things to give to their troops when they return in the fall...

I figure if I make it through February - it'll be all alright - after that, I might be preparing for expansion to keep up with the expected increase of work (Big Guy's will of course).

_____

Ooops - in a good way I went back to check again to verify - I had it backwards - my Christmas was slightly higher this year over last year. Yea!!!!
    Last edited by Stephen Beckham; 01-14-2009 at 9:45 PM. Reason: Change of information
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

Steve, are you on base or off base?

I have some individual coin holders that might work good for you. (I make them in the shop on base or buy from a vendor) PM me and I'll pass on the info.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

We take the electronic switch panels, measure them out and vector/engrave cover panels for them.
    Eric Jackson
    Turned Treasure's Inc.
    Director, River Region Chaplain Service
    Titus 2:7,"..be an example unto them by doing good deeds of everykind. Let everything you do reflect the integrity and seriousness of your teaching."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Jackson View Post
    We take the electronic switch panels, measure them out and vector/engrave cover panels for them.

Thanks for clarifying that.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    Thanks for clarifying that.
    I can foresee the biggest problem I'm probably going to have with this recession, will be the same as I had with the last one.. That's suppliers going out of business, and then having to waste time looking for other suppliers for things I used to get on a regular basis. I'm hoping beyond hope, that ALL of my suppliers weather this storm. Particularly my major suppliers.. Rodney's right, in that other thread about Mom & Pop businesses being able to survive while the larger suppliers with more overhead are the ones that will go down.. Unfortunately, a lot of the Mom & Pop operations depend on the larger guys for stock..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it