Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Gloat_ Ambrosia Maple

My First Gloat_ Ambrosia Maple

As a newbie, this is some of the most figured ambrosia maple I have seen. Discovered at a local logging firm...the stack is from 2 of about 25 trees available. Unfortunately they are charging us five dollars per tree and we have to cut it ourselves. For reference..a 20 inch chainsaw.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Art, that is a great gloat and some good looking maple
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Great gloat! That's gonna make some beautiful turnings! Congrats on the find!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I'll say that's a gloat!!!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

That is a wonderful gloat. That maple looks great. Make sure to post picts of what you make with it.

Alex

Wow five bucks a log!! Thats great I would have taken all I could at that price, nice gloat!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

And this ugly, useless, almost free wood is located where exactly?
    Richard in Wimberley

Somewhere there is no snow! Still have over a foot in the yard here. Very nice looking gloat. You will stay busy getting all of that prepped and turned.

so you give them 5 dollars, drive truck up to pile of logs, cut wood, load truck, head home

the wood is not down some red muddy hill with a creek between you and the turck????

Art,

From your name, you must be a long lost brother or cousin. Don't forget your relatives!

Nice gloat!
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Nice looking stuff, I wish you were closer, perhaps I could trade you
    some birds eye maple for ambrosia maple. I don't believe ambrosia
    grows around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Jordan View Post
    As a newbie, this is some of the most figured ambrosia maple I have seen. Discovered at a local logging firm...the stack is from 2 of about 25 trees available. Unfortunately they are charging us five dollars per tree and we have to cut it ourselves. For reference..a 20 inch chainsaw.
    Yes Art, Where are you located? Inquiring minds want to know! Very nice haul! For $5 a tree that is just plain incedible!!! We all should be so lucky!! I need to go to the landing at my cousins to see what treasures await me as the loggers work thier way through the 57 acres they are select cutting and your post gives me incentive to go soon!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Reply-ambrosia

Actually, it is on the shipping yard next to their office, not in the woods. I mark the trees I want with red paint, and they stack them in a pile for me on the yard. The 25 trees I have now( have only cut 2 so far) only represent one week of activity on the yard. On Monday, new loads will be coming in. It's like Christmas. Yes..it would be nice to trade for stuff I don't have...shipping would be the killer. I live in northwest S.C., near Greenville.

Now that is a gloat. Dang that is a lot of turning wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Art,
    You hit the proverbial gold mine! Nice looking wood and sounds like it's easy to get to, easy on the billfold and easy on the eyes. Yup...goldmine!
    Make sure you allot yourself some time for turning.
    Good work,
    Allen