Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Festool Domino eliminate mortiser?

Double tenons

I don't have a domino but I bet if you put two tenons in the joint the strenght would equal a standard mortise and tenon of equal size.

Ed,

FWW in a very recent issue did a comparison of a buncha joints. I started a thread about it so search on my name and FWW or joint or something and you can check it out.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Ed,

FWW in a very recent issue did a comparison of a buncha joints. I started a thread about it so search on my name and FWW or joint or something and you can check it out.
    I read the thread, or lots of it. Basically the thread seem to be saying it is a pity they did not do a comparison in such a way that it became a usable compariso. Instead they are comparing one type of joints done in one size and orientation with another type of joint with another size and orientation, leaving all comclusions beyond the basic (longer and wider is stronger) impossible to draw from the result.

Is there anyone having a link to a comparison done in a fair way?

-- -Mats ---

It has saved me so much time. I do some true mortise and tenons these days but have been doing a lot of loose tenons before I bought the Domino. I do a lot of panel and frame construction that doesn't need max. strength no question in my mind the fastest and consequently the best for $$. I have three biscuit jointers and use them all. They are preset for the work I do filling orders for a gallery. One is a Lamello. I don't use any for alignment of boards. I use cauls. Occasionally I will use a shim under the caul for a recalcitrant board along with mallet. When I was fresh into WW I used blind splines from time to time.

You can make over lapping slots with it and make your own loose tenons to fill it like you would when employing other methods like a router and a u box with a fence to make the mortise. I have used the Domino for 2" loose tenons. The only limitations I have found was in thickness over 3/8". I probably wouldn't use if for chair construction.

Tony

Absolutely fantastic answers guys.

Even when I don't necessarily "agree" with the answer the logic and rationale behind the answers was really helpful.

I have a mortiser which I have used about twice at most and really have trouble doing (actually the tennons... but you get the idea).

After all this input, I think I will keep the mortiser for now. I think as I progress in my woodworking I may end up feeling the desire to make more traditional designs vs the "get it done quick" mode I am in now... and for that the mortiser is a good keeper.

thanks... the question ellicited a lot more response than I expected!

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Lohnes View Post
    Absolutely fantastic answers guys.

Even when I don't necessarily "agree" with the answer the logic and rationale behind the answers was really helpful.

I have a mortiser which I have used about twice at most and really have trouble doing (actually the tennons... but you get the idea).

After all this input, I think I will keep the mortiser for now. I think as I progress in my woodworking I may end up feeling the desire to make more traditional designs vs the "get it done quick" mode I am in now... and for that the mortiser is a good keeper.

thanks... the question ellicited a lot more response than I expected!

George
    Wise choice.