Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you kidding me?

1. Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber View Post
    It seems to me that the health care industry thinks differently than other industries. They watch some costs like a hawk and cut at every opportunity, but in other areas huge purchases and payouts are made which don't seem to be based on any financial sense.

I'll acknowledge that the issue is much more complex than I know, but I don't understand why costs in the USA are twice that of other countries and we don't have better outcomes.
    Your kidding, right? The rich and famous around the globe can go to any place they want. I bet 9 out of 10 come to the USA. Clifford.

I don't dispute the cost of running a hospital is expensive. We haven't even gotten to those charges yet. We're on the "Supplies". $28,000 for "Supplies".

I just want to know what "Supplies" cost $28,000 for 3 hours.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cuetara View Post
    . . . Quite frankly we have the best health care in the world. If you don't think so why does EVERYONE in the world come here to have major surgeries or even minor surgeries. Why does every country in the world send their citizens here to study medicine....we must be doing something right. It is complicated but when every other countries medical system has failed again we must be doing something right. It might cost more in the US but you can have your surgery and don't have to wait for 6 months to see a doctor or wait years for the surgery that will take away pain.

When your son or daughter or family member is sick you can run right in and most of the time see the doctor that same day or the next day. Is that true anywhere else in the world?
    It's hard to respond to this without getting into issues which will be considered political, so I'll tread carefully.

Everyone doesn't come here to get their medical work done. The USA does not have a monopoly on great doctors. Some wealthy people come from developing countries to the USA to get work done, but they also go to other industrialized countries.

Other countries medical systems have not failed that I know of.

Most medical systems in the world allow you to see a doc on the same day you want to. I can't say no one ever waited six months for an operation, but every story I've heard checked out was not based on a real example.

In the USA our infant mortality rates are higher and lifespan is lower because many people do not have access to preventive care.

And, twice as much comes out of our pockets to pay for it. And, monitoring medical bills and explanations of benefits takes me a couple of hours a month to keep everyone from taking advantage of me or each other.

Moderator - Sorry if this is considered political. Delete the relevant posts if you feel the need.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford Mescher View Post
    Your kidding, right? The rich and famous around the globe can go to any place they want. I bet 9 out of 10 come to the USA. Clifford.
    Do some research before you put your money up. Otherwise, I'll take it.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Don't mess up my non-political thread here guys, I just want to know what $28,000 worth of supplies look like.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

This maybe ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Now that your source is well qualified, how about a hint as to why hospitals are expensive to run. Does their electricity cost more than than the injection molding company down the street? Do their janitors make more than the outsourced folks?

I am being a bit silly here and understand that the costs are probably significant. You can't just jury rig an outlet strip nailed to the wall when you need more power in an operating room and the regulations alone have to be a chore to comply with. All kidding aside I would be interested to hear from someone in the know as to what a few of the specifics are on the big dollar items.
    Unfortunately, like any BIG problem, it's not something I could write up on this forum in any easy structure nor could I even pretend to have the knowledge to do so. I'm sure the issue has been explored in MASSIVE research studies, write ups and of course, get 5 experts on the subject in the room and you'll get 7 opinions.

The numero uno thing my wife tends to tell me......
    Costs come from several sources, all free to charge what they want for their "product". Pharmaceticals are a major cost factor in the industry, putting a major strain on final costs.

The other issue seems to be Doctors who create partnerships, create a "specialty" clinic and take the high profit work away from the hospitals.
    Example:
    A team of orthopedic doctors put together a large sports medicine clinic, doing a variety of orthopedic surgeries and other things. Those procedures are HIGH profit procedures which the hopitals perform to support the low profit or even negative profit areas such as the ER. Now that the hospital don't have the high profit buisness to pay for the ER, what happens? Noninsured and those who use the ER as their primary means of medical treatment is a killer on ER financials. The ortho Doc's only take the cream, leaving the crap to the hospitals. Hospitals must charge more to compensate.

I don't pretend to be an expert, only what I know from my wife. Not to mention, she has her opinion too. My wife typically laughs at those who say lawsuits are the problem. Insurance is expensive (what insurance isn't?) and should be examined as an issue, but is not THE problem.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    ill tell u what the cost of cutting my finger off and 9 stitches was as soon as i see the bill
    I couldn't tell you what cutting a finger off costs, but last time I had stitches it cost me just over $700 for 6 stitches in a thumb. I've got a buddy who's a vetenarian who'll said he'll stitch me up for beer from now on.

I swear I posted in this thread already, but I guess I just read it...

"I had a vision of riding down the street looking for the cheapest hospital price."

That's funny, I don't care who you are. That's funny!
    Last edited by Brian Brown; 05-21-2009 at 8:56 PM.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Scott,
    Consider that at a minimum, the entire operating room needs to be sterilized for the next use. Considering that there may be bodily fluids exposed, the cleaning crew needs to wear hazmat equipment that cannot be reused - tyvek jumpsuits, hoods, masks, gloves, etc. The cleaning equipment, towels, mop heads, etc are also onetime use - bodily fluids again. This is the ancillary cost to the AIDS problem. At a guess, a good $10,000 is just in this clean up.
    There are other supplies that are placed in an operating room that are there for emergencies, but once exposed, cannot be reused. Then there are the gowns, gloves, caps, eye guards, footies, etc. for people involved in the operation itself. More one-time use items.
    The more I think about it, 23,000 actually sounds about right.

My gall bladder removal and bile duct rebuild cost over $250,000 and counting. Just the hospital has billed, the doctors bills are yet to come.

Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

A few years back I gashed my hand while doing some sheet metal stud walls. After waiting at the emergency for a couple hours I went home and sewed it up myself four sutures for a 1-1/4" cut that was near 1/2" deep in my palm.

Sedative/painkiller: about $6.00 (12 pack and a shot of whiskey)
    Needle and thread: free out of my sewing kit.
    gauze and rubbing alcohol: another ~$6.00

It healed up quite nice.

I have always pulled my own sutures out over the years.

Roughly 20 years ago while showering I notice what I assume are some sort of swollen gland issues in the groin right at the crease with the legs. So I head for the doctor that week, who informs me that I'm the lucky recipient of two minor early stage hernias then refers me to a surgeon. Crud. I had medical insurance but no disability leave insurance. So no work - no income. The surgeon informs me that I'll be off work 6 weeks after each surgery and that they only do one side at a time. Once the first is healed, the other side would get done. Yikes - 12 weeks with no income. About that time I run into a cousin who mentions he got back from Toronto about a week ago. Then mentions he went there for a hernia operation. After prodding him for more details and why he needed to go to Toronto for something he could get done here, I like what I hear and start checking into whether I can get mine done there too. I'd be there for a week and walk out with both done and they gave me the cost - $1200 USD for the entire weeks stay, surgery, and all fees. My insurance company was falling over themselves approving the operation there. I found out later that I would have been close to 5 figures for just the first one if done here. Something definitely needs fixin with the medical industry here in the US.

Edit:
    Just in case anybody needs it
    http://www.shouldice.com/
    Last edited by Doug Shepard; 05-21-2009 at 9:54 PM. Reason: Added linky
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber View Post
    Do some research before you put your money up. Otherwise, I'll take it.

John,

How about giving us the source of the information you claim to have.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The medical system, the government Medicare and Medicaid system are a lot more complex than most people realize.

Example:

For certain diagnostic procedures, the Medicare reimbursement value doesn't even pay for the expense the hospital incurrs when they perform the procedure.

Now hospitals have 3 choices that I can see:

1. Refuse to take any Medicare patients that might need the procedure

2. Refuse to perform the procedure on Medicare patients

3. Perform the procedure on the Medicare patient and markup the price on everybody else that have insurance or a lot cash so that they don't lose money.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

A serious topic but I always get a laugh out of what my Insurance pays opposed to what the Doctor/Hospital/Clinic bills. Often it's 1/2 or less of the original amount. Recently had a little fall resulting in lot of broken cheek bones/jaw/cracked sinus. One of the bills I got was for 143.00, evidently for lab work. Insurance allowed amount was $11.21!!! My responsibility after provider payment was $2.26. An extreme example perhaps but every time I see something like that I'm grateful I have great medical insurance. Feel sorry for the uninsured who are on the hook for the whole amount. At least those that can/do pay. I agree something is badly out of whack with our medical system. I understand that medical tourism is a growing industry. Thats where a person has an expensive procedure done in a foreign country because it's so much cheaper. Lots of countries getting in on it. Especially in the elective surgery area where insurance won't pay anything.