Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitty Litter Router Table Dust Collection

Kitty Litter Router Table Dust Collection

I did some research on how to enclose my router to improve dust collection. My router is mounted in a Rockler / JessEm FX which btw works great. I have been using a Rockler "Down Under Dust Port" which works ok until it gets backed up with dust and shavings. And that happens far to easily because the the tiny opening feeding the smallish 1 1/2" hose. All in all a big pain to use with any serious blind routing operations.

I had a moment of feline inspiration as it were. Please don't laugh too loudly but I got the idea of using an empty 40 lb. kitty litter tub as an enclosure. The size of the tub seemed about perfect to cover the motor and lift plus it certainly is air tight. I had a plastic blast gate on hand and thought if cut off one side of the flange with my bandsaw and cut a hole in the bottom of the tub my modifed blast gate (I actually removed the sliding gate first) would fit though the hole and would hook up nicely with my 4" DC hose. I cut a simple notch on the side of the top to slip the power cable though and wrapped a bunge cord under the bottom and clipping to the side stretchers of my table. Very simple very fast. I finished the project in less then 1/2 hour from inspiration to testing it out.

I must say it seems to work pretty darn ok hooked up to my 2 hp DC with plenty of flow down though the table opening. There is a little gap where the table meets one side of the tub to allow fresh air to flow down. I understand this is helpful in keeping the motor cool and allow proper flow for the DC. Still more testing to do but so far so good. I kept the labels on the tub just for fun.

Ed
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like your idea so much I may steal it.

I had actually seen this done once before and wanted to swipe the idea but I couldn't figure out a good way to mount the bucket to the table. And I could never find the post where I saw it the first time to ask the guy. Have any pointers?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Prisbylla View Post
    I like your idea so much I may steal it.

Feel free
    Last edited by Edwood Ferrari; 06-24-2009 at 10:50 PM.

Phil,

I don't believe I saw this before but it would be nice to give proper credit if you ever find the post. As far as mounting assuming you would want to upgrade the bungee cord mount system, would be to attach a small flange maybe out of 1/4" hardboard to the top of the tub. On my table there are 4 height adjustment screws that were used with the original Rockler plate that sit just outside the dimensions of the tub. I think it would be a simple matter to attach to these screws or new ones. I sorta like the bungee cord though because its really easy to take it off for cleaning and access to the motor. I really believe in the KISS principle, (Keep IT Simple Stupid).

Quote Originally Posted by Edwood Ferrari View Post
    As far as mounting assuming you would want to upgrade the bungee cord mount system, would be to attach a small flange maybe out of 1/4" hardboard to the top of the tub.
    That's a great idea, I'll give it a shot.

In terms of credit for the idea, I don't think you have to share it with anyone. I was never able to find that post again, only a post from me (at bt3central) mentioning I was going to copy it. Now when I tell people I copied it I'll at least be able to site your post here.

Hey that's the same brand dust collection my cat uses

Phil,

I think I recall the post you are talking about on BT3Central... No idea how long ago...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

i dont get much dust under the table on my RT, its all above the table
    If you don't make mistakes, you don't learn.

-- Sam Maloof

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    i dont get much dust under the table on my RT, its all above the table
    I wonder if a dust collector like this would help pull down that dust from topside?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    I wonder if a dust collector like this would help pull down that dust from topside?
    i guess it would be worth a try. the only thing is the vacuum up top doesnt even catch the stuff because it usually just shoots off to the side away from the pickup. maybe a dedicated dust collector would help?
    If you don't make mistakes, you don't learn.

-- Sam Maloof

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    i guess it would be worth a try. the only thing is the vacuum up top doesnt even catch the stuff because it usually just shoots off to the side away from the pickup. maybe a dedicated dust collector would help?
    Not sure, I don't have my Incra stuff with the wonder fence installed yet so I just blow dust everywhere and sweep up afterwards. I have high hopes that it will work well with my dust collector. I've got a 220v 1.5 horse Jet that will be handling the TS, router, and planer

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Jerome,

Actually yes it does pull down dust from the top of anything that settles about 1" or so from the opening. Like I mentioned before I route a lot of long sliding dovetails so most of my waste is normally trapped under the boards and just cloged up. With this dust collector other than the first entrance route where most just flies off when I am finished routing my dovetails its all clean.

I don't have the wunder fence on my Incra so I really havent tried top collection. Well a lie I did try the dust port on my orginal Rockler fence but that seemed to be a joke.

And to the point about not much dust dropping through to the bottom, before I started using under the table collection I would always find a sizeable pile of dust on the floor after routing some of my work.

I think both top and bottom collection would be ideal.

Do you have any concerned about filling your router motor full of dust. You are confining all your dust to a small area around the motor and it will suck in all that dust. This I would think would let heat build in the motor.

I had similar doubts, but then the DC suction may actually provide some air cooling.

I think it's a great idea and may try to experiment with it, but rather than connecting the DC hose to the bottom I'd think connecting it to a side, closer to the table top would make the dust extraction more direct and efficient.