Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Bosch 1590 and 1591 Jigsaws

Question about Bosch 1590 and 1591 Jigsaws

Hello,

I’ve read lots of posts from many of you saying that the Bosch 1590 or 1591 jigsaw is a super jigsaw. My question is, is it really that much better than an inexpensive jigsaw? For instance, I have a new Black & Decker variable speed jigsaw that I realize isn’t a top quality model.

The Black & Decker doesn't seem to be able to “track” that straight, even when I run it along a clamped straight edge. It’s as if the thickness of the wood (only 1/4 inch thick) forces the blade to move off the line. It may be just my technique, but I don’t know.

So, my question is, could I expect the Bosch to do a better job on this? Would the Bosch be expected to track that straight? And if so, which Bosch, the handle type or the barrel type, would be more controllable?

I guess that the bottom line is that I’d like to get the Bosch if it would be that much better than what I’ve got.

Thanks,
    Louis

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Brandt View Post
    Hello,

I’ve read lots of posts from many of you saying that the Bosch 1590 or 1591 jigsaw is a super jigsaw. My question is, is it really that much better than an inexpensive jigsaw? For instance, I have a new Black & Decker variable speed jigsaw that I realize isn’t a top quality model.

The Black & Decker doesn't seem to be able to “track” that straight, even when I run it along a clamped straight edge. It’s as if the thickness of the wood (only 1/4 inch thick) forces the blade to move off the line. It may be just my technique, but I don’t know.

So, my question is, could I expect the Bosch to do a better job on this? Would the Bosch be expected to track that straight? And if so, which Bosch, the handle type or the barrel type, would be more controllable?

I guess that the bottom line is that I’d like to get the Bosch if it would be that much better than what I’ve got.

Thanks,
    Louis
    I have the 1590EVS, and love it. It has a tracking mechanism that engages when a button is pushed, causing two little "arms" that rest on each side of the blade, and help the blade to remain true. You must make sure the blade is 90 degrees to the shoe, or it too will not track true, same with resawing on a bandsaw (at least in my experience). I always check mine with a square. I find that the 1590 top handle fits me better than the barrel handle. But stop by the local tool store, and try them both out, your preference may be different. The Bosch 308B blades makes cutting anything wood related, like cutting butter. I can even cut maple and oak plywood, with zero chipout.

The upgrade will be obvious when you use the Bosch. Good Luck, Bill

I had cheap Ryobi before getting the Bosch with the barrel grip. I used the Ryobi a few times and gave up... the vibration and lack of power made using it very frustrating.

The Bosch is a world apart. I haven't tried straight rips with it though, I've used it mostly for curve cuts. The Bosch gives you great control and accuracy. Their blades are also excellent (and cheap).

Don't know if my old Ryobi can compare to your B&D (probably not, mine was as low as you can go), but in my case, the Bosch was worth every penny.

I chose the barrel grip because I think it allows for better control than having to direct the saw by 'pushing' from the top, but that's my personal preference. Some people mentioned that the barrel might be a problem if you have small hands (which is my case), but I haven't found that to be the case.

Hope it helps

I have a 1591EVS and its light years ahead of my previous jigsaw. Its not going to replace a bandsaw as it still experiences some flex on thicker cuts, but its amazing how many jobs have me end up grabbing this unit. For thinner cuts its wonderful.

The only way you can decide for yourself is to compare the two. Maybe yours is good enough for you. But for me the Bosch I have is worlds apart in quality and use than my old sears jigsaw I used to have. A cheaper jigsaw may be all you require but the Bosch is definitely a better unit than most others.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Blog Entries
    I was truly amazed at the quality and speed of cut I could get with my Bosch barrel grip as compared to my cheap B&D model. With the Bosch Progressor T234X blades, I get cross cuts that rival a 60 tooth finish blade cut on my TS in poplar, cherry, maple, oak and plywood. The Bosch is a good machine and will give very straight cuts when used with an edge guide. As others have indicated it will not completely replace a bandsaw on curved cuts, but it does a better job on all cuts than any jig saw I've ever used (Skil, B&D, Craftsman).

If I needed another one, it would be Bosch!
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I've got an older Bosch, the 1584, and I remember well the day I brought it home. I never knew a jigsaw could cut that cleanly or that straight!

It's great!!

I've got a 1591, the thing runs like a sewing machine. No real vibration, cuts like butter, on and on. Yeah, I'd pay for one again in a minute. I had a old B&D model, it's like a Pinto and a Cadillac... Major big difference. Larry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Brandt View Post
    My question is, is it really that much better than an inexpensive jigsaw?
    I didn't read what everyone else said but I've got to tell you; I didn't know a jigsaw was an actual tool until I got my 1591 EVS. I'm sure the experience is similar with any very high quality jigsaw.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I went from a skil to a bosch 1584 after getting very frustrated with blade deflection on some cuts I was doing with the skil. The Bosch has been much better in this regard. Whether this is a worthwhile purchase will depend on how much you use a jigsaw. The 1584 cuts well, although it is a bit fiddly to change the blades. I've seen some chatter recently about differences between models made in switzerland vs. china. I can imagine better than what I've got, but what I've got does work pretty well.

Matt

The barrel grip Bosch is that good. The Bosch Co. bought the Lesto Co. which was the best jig saw on the planet. I had a Lesto saw but a burglar borrowed it.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

I think the Bosch 1591 is junk and I wouldn't have one if you paid me.....

Ok, just joking....

I really love mine and I came from a B&D the difference it really what everyone has said. With a good Bosch blade I use a All-in-One clamp and cut a line as straight as the CS.

I have a 1587, and as others have said -- once you go Bosch, you never go back.

My dad had a Craftsman and we also borrowed our neighbors B & D and they were rough tools incapable of cutting a decent straight line.

Honestly, I can cut as good a straight line with my Bosch freehand as I can with my circ saw and a straight edge. Better probably.

Cheers

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

I thought a jig-saw was a waste of money after having 4 that the manufacturer claimed were jig-saws. I took a chance on the older Bosch barrel grip and found out what a jig saw really is. Mine doesn't even have the quick blade change and there is no way I would give it up.

Sarge..

night and day. I prefer the barrel grip