Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe padding for friction or vac chuck?

Safe padding for friction or vac chuck?

I've been using a friction chuck to fine tune and sand the outside of bowls. One uses 4" PVC pipe, another smaller one I turned from a piece of wood. I used a piece of router pad for non-slip padding to protect the inside of the larger bowl from the pcv, but it left an oily ring on the wood (like the mark some plastic jaw clamps make on wood), which may or may not be visible after finishing.

On a smaller bowl tonight using the wood chuck, I tried covering the pad with a blue shop paper towel, but it was too bulky, and wouldn't turn true, so I went with just the paper towel folded several times covering the chuck. As I was fine tuning prior to sanding the outside, I could feel the bowl slip a few times, and when done sanding, sure enough there was a ring scuffed into the inside of my nicely sanded bowl.

So my question is, what is a safe padding material that won't slip, and won't transfer any bad boogie to my work? I'm sure that some of the high friction rubber or plastics are safe, but which ones won't leave an oily sort of mark?

Thanks,

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Mouse pads, carpet padding.
    I have a supply of old beer can coolers which I cut up and use.

Office supply stores sell sheets of mailing padding, not the stuff with big bubbles you can pop, but about 1/8" thick, with millions of bubbles.
    Soft leather is good.

I've been using two Hook/Loop Sanding disks, 5", abrasive sides against the bowl and chuck. Works pretty well.
    Blessings, Steve

Dan,

Go to Wally World and buy Foam-eze, it's in the craft area. Comes in an 8 1/2" X 11 sheet and has sticky backing. Cut it and put it where you want it. I have one on a chuck that I've used for 2 or 3 years.

Randy

I use sheets of closed cell packing foam. It's about 1/8" thick and does not compress or leave any marks.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

+1 on recycle the 5" ROS pad. For the jam chuck. Too poor to buy a vac.

the rubber foam padding for the bottom of tooltrays. also the rubber gasket from the toilet bowl to tank works very very well.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Thanks guys, will try the foam ease, as I like the idea of the sticky backing, and the packing foam until I can get to Walmart. I used to have a ton of that stuff, hope I can still find some.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I don't vacuum chuck but for friction chucking I use some of that stuff you put under rugs so they won't slip. I can't think of what it's call right off. But it grips really well and you buy a pretty big of roll of it for cheap.

10. I use that non-slip router mat stuff, no marks.

Brendan

The thin rubber shelf lining similar to the router pad works well and is much thinner (about 1/8") and can be picked up cheap at the dollar type stores or Harbor Freight. Good also to improve grip to remove bowls blanks from screw chucks.

I use closed cell packing foam also. Doesn't mark or marr.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Privett View Post
    Dan,

Go to Wally World and buy Foam-eze, it's in the craft area. Comes in an 8 1/2" X 11 sheet and has sticky backing. Cut it and put it where you want it. I have one on a chuck that I've used for 2 or 3 years.

Randy

Just a FYI, I went to my local Walmart and they did not have Foam-eze. The lady looked at me like I had two heads.

I started using Foam Eze or something like it after seeing it used at an AAW demo in Richmond last year. I got mine at Michaels but would think any craft store might have it. My sheets are smaller than 8.5 x 11 but a package lasts forever.

Just got back from buying some at Michaels.
    Called "Creatology" Fun Foam.

8 1/2 x 11 with sticky back
    11 x 17 plain back

Both are 99cents ea. Lots of colors too.