Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: footprint of contractor vs unisaw

There are 2 HP Unisaw motor available (I think makes or made one) and they might run 120V. I think the 240V service add would be worth it. With 240V you could either 1) put in a phase converter, or 2) change the motor. You would also probably be able to sell the old ones, some guys use them as an idler motor to build their own phase converter. It sounds to me like a pretty good deal.
    I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be. (Merle Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Where do you keep finding these Uni's so cheap? Unless they aren't in good condition... All the ones I've seen around here are $900 and above...except the one I found...
    Craig's List, with all the caveats.

I haven't heard anything regarding the saw that started this thread (or the others mentioned above) so I suppose they already sold even though I replied immediately. Not surprising, I guess.

I have since found an old unisaw, said to run well, essentially for free. It has a 220/110 V, single phase, 1 hp, 1725 rpm motor. Delta customer service's search did not find the serial number that is stamped on the saw face plate. They want numbers from internal cast iron parts, which I don't have but can get.

I've read about (on the "Unisaw FAQs" web page) staying away from unisaws with 1725 rpm motors (instead of the newer 3450 rpm). Is this solely because the internal gearing must accommodate this difference, meaning true replacement parts are not available and replacingthe motor also means a new motor pulley, possibly a new switch with overload protection, etc., etc.? Rewinding is suggested as an alternative. Might still be ok if this saw functions and is essentially free.

Does anyone know who to contact about such saws? Does anyone have a contact at Delta or elsewhere who can evaluate these saws based on criteria other than SN? Delta customer service said they don't have anyone who knows these old saws, but if they don't who does?

Thanks.

David

I have an old Unisaw with the 1725 RPM motor.
    Those motors are much prized by Unisaw enthusiasts.
    You should probably have the brushes and bearings replaced, if it has not already been done. The arbor bearings should also probably be replaced.
    Those old Unisaws are real jewels.

If you go to OWWM.org you will find a forum dealing solely with old wood working machines, a wealth of information. You have a terrific saw, protect it. BTW
    jump on getting the saw, even in rusty, ugly, shape, that saw could sell for $300 to $600.

Good Luck.

John

Quote Originally Posted by David Milstone View Post
    I haven't heard anything regarding the saw that started this thread (or the others mentioned above) so I suppose they already sold even though I replied immediately. Not surprising, I guess.

I have since found an old unisaw, said to run well, essentially for free. It has a 220/110 V, single phase, 1 hp, 1725 rpm motor. Delta customer service's search did not find the serial number that is stamped on the saw face plate. They want numbers from internal cast iron parts, which I don't have but can get.

I've read about (on the "Unisaw FAQs" web page) staying away from unisaws with 1725 rpm motors (instead of the newer 3450 rpm). Is this solely because the internal gearing must accommodate this difference, meaning true replacement parts are not available and replacingthe motor also means a new motor pulley, possibly a new switch with overload protection, etc., etc.? Rewinding is suggested as an alternative. Might still be ok if this saw functions and is essentially free.

Does anyone know who to contact about such saws? Does anyone have a contact at Delta or elsewhere who can evaluate these saws based on criteria other than SN? Delta customer service said they don't have anyone who knows these old saws, but if they don't who does?

Thanks.

Go here http://wiki.owwm.com/Default.aspx?As...Delta_Unisaw_6

Almost everything you need to know about an old Unisaw.

Sign up to the forums http://www.owwm.org/ and do search for more info. If it is free get it and go from there. I

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Slupek View Post
    Go here http://wiki.owwm.com/Default.aspx?As...Delta_Unisaw_6

Almost everything you need to know about an old Unisaw.

Sign up to the forums http://www.owwm.org/ and do search for more info. If it is free get it and go from there. I
    Thanks for the info and links. I'm trying to obtain the saw before it's gone. I plan to remove the rails, table and extensions and put the cabinet (19 7/16” X 19 7/16” X 34) in my station wagon with rear seats down. It should fit easily if we can lift it in. Do you foresee any problems doing this?

For some reason this saw is entirely painted red (except for the original exposed bare metal). Maybe it's been reconditioned in the past. It appears to be a real unisaw though. I don't see how one could fake that.

Dave

[QUOTE=David Milstone;1200633I plan to remove the rails, table and extensions and put the cabinet (19 7/16” X 19 7/16” X 34) in my station wagon with rear seats down. It should fit easily if we can lift it in. Do you foresee any problems doing this?
    Dave[/QUOTE]

My wife and I were able to handle my Unisaw with it broken down like that. We were lifting the body down off of my pickup, but tipping it over and sliding it into your station wagon should be possible with a two person crew.

David,
    Where are you located? I for one would be willing to help in your situation with my truck and trailer, might be some others out there close to you that would do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    My wife and I were able to handle my Unisaw with it broken down like that. We were lifting the body down off of my pickup, but tipping it over and sliding it into your station wagon should be possible with a two person crew.
    Thanks. Unfortunately, it just sold (for $50, which I consider essentially "free") to someone else less than 24 hours after listing. But I'll be ready next time something like this comes along (although I may have to wait a long time).

Dave
    Last edited by David Milstone; 08-24-2009 at 3:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ewalt View Post
    David,
    Where are you located? I for one would be willing to help in your situation with my truck and trailer, might be some others out there close to you that would do the same.
    Dan,

Wow! Thanks very much for the offer. This saw apparently already found a new home but I will keep in mind. I am searching the area of Southern New England.

Dave

David,

For future reference, the Unisaw is not really that difficult to move. I have moved an old (1941) unisaw, a Delta HD shaper, and a Powermatic 66 using my full size pickup, a 4-caster dolly, and a 2-wheel hand truck. All three machines are about the same size and weight.

If you remove the fence and table wings the machine can be moved quite easily without assistance. I moved all three the same way with the main table, motor, etc. assembled. After positioning the machine next to the tailgate you can lift at the base and tilt the machine into the bed using the tailgate as a pivot point. I use old blankets or furniture pads for cushion and to prevent scarring. It takes a little more care getting it out but in all three instances I had the 4-caster dolly in position to set the machine on. Start by pulling the machine outward (base first) and then swinging the base downward to let it sit on the dolly. I suspect you can use the same method with a minivan or station wagon.

Also, keep in mind that the Unisaw has a unique motor mount that can't be swapped out with standard frame motors. It takes a Unisaw motor or modification to a standard frame motor. Like others, I highly recommend the OWWM forum. It is loaded with great information and great folks. This subject has been discussed many times so search the archives.

Good luck with your search.

Vince in NC

[QUOTE=John Morrison

You should probably have the brushes and bearings replaced, if it has not already been done.

I thought that the old Unisaw motors were induction motors. If so, I don't believe they have brushes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Sandy View Post
    David,

For future reference, the Unisaw is not really that difficult to move ...

Vince in NC
    Thanks. I can actually see it happening!

Dave

[QUOTE=Joe Spear;1200840][QUOTE=John Morrison

You should probably have the brushes and bearings replaced, if it has not already been done.

I thought that the old Unisaw motors were induction motors. If so, I don't believe they have brushes. Correct me if I'm wrong.[/QUOTE]

The older single phase Unisaws used a repulsion-induction motor which apparently developed quite a bit of torque for their size and voltage. They do have brushes. They provided high starting torque at lower voltages, and were easy to reverse by swapping the brushes. Finding an old Unisaw with the original R-I motor is a major gloat in the OWWM world.