Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jointer Decision

Jointer Decision

Is a powermatic 54a that much better than a ridgid jointer? Other than length of tables arent they about the same? Price being a small factor, is it worth the extra $300 (Trying to avoid overly cost mill lumber-make small furniture and plan to use it extensively in years to come). Say ouch now or up grade later?

Tim

Granted, I've never used a Rigid jointer, but I'd say yes. Spend the money now, you won't be sorry. I had a 54a. Great jointer. I don't know if they all have indexed knives now, but get that feature if you can - it makes knife changes much faster. Only reason I sold it is I got a ridiculously good deal on a General 8".
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I've got a ridgid and I wish I had something else. With the open base it's very top heavy. I really don't like using it for anything longer than 5' boards. Changing knives sucks, and of course....I really wish I had an 8" model.

If had to do it over again I'd be looking at the 8" grizzly models. Of course I got my ridgid used for $150 so I don't have a ton of $$ into this one.

I have a 6" JET and wish I had a larger jointer. But since my planer is 12", 8" jointer does not make sense to me. If I make the jump it will be a 12".
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have the Ridgid jointer. I think it's a great jointer CONSIDERING THE PRICE. I don't own a PM, but I would say that the Ridgid would not be a fair comparison.

If you want a quality jointer, get the PM. If you want a cheap alternative, the Ridgid is a great buy.

Blog Entries
    I feel bad for anyone who asks about a 6" jointer because they can't escape the "don't get a 6" you'll just lose money when you upgrade" chant that 90 out of 100 of us respond with. That being said, if a 6" will meet your needs (and many folks find that to be the case) and it is an older PM it is probably worth the extra dough. The newer mustard (along with others) lost out to Grizzly green when I finished my decision process on jointers.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have some 8" capabilities (I have the mini jet jointer-limited use due to small outfeed though-which is why I am up grading). I guess if you really need something can always use a sled and your planer though. I mean for 90% of the material you are going to use I would assume 6in would be okay, right?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    The newer mustard (along with others) lost out to Grizzly green when I finished my decision process on jointers.
    I'm seriously considering getting the PM 60HH (8" jointer) with the 15% off sale later this month. The only reason I'm considering PM over Grizz is the fact that you can get the Byrd heads pre-installed. I don't want to tackle that myself.

Mike

what am I missing here?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Allaire View Post
    Price being a small factor, is it worth the extra $300?
    I'm googling the PM54A at about $900. I got my Ridgid for $250.

Trying to avoid overly cost mill lumber-make small furniture and plan to use it extensively in years to come
    If that's the case, then get an 8" jointer now. That being said, I think the Ridgid 6" is a great 'starter' jointer. It's not that much of an investment and will get you by for many years. There are many tricks to flattening wider boards especially if you have a planer. Once you REALLY learn what features are important to you - or how you really use your jointer, you can determine whether a larger one is your cup of tea. Further, the Ridgid is generally well regarded and you should be able to recoup at least $100 of your original purchase price if you sell within a few years...

I got a deal for the PM $750 and the Ridgid for $430 (new). I really dont have a whole lot of experience and need to be spending the extra on Parallel clamps (I dont own any-all pipe clamps). I just was wondering if I truly am going to regret no spending the extra on a jointer that is so nice (to me) the first time.

I got a deal for the PM $750 and the Ridgid for $430 (new). I really dont have a whole lot of experience and need to be spending the extra on Parallel clamps (I dont own any-all pipe clamps). I just was wondering if I truly am going to regret no spending the extra on a jointer that is so nice (to me) the first time.

Yes you are, go for the PM, without question.

Regards, Rod.

You can do much - like 50% better - on the Ridgid @ $430.

Where/when (ridgid)? PM will be sold soon at that price (may be able to get it at $700).

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Yes you are, go for the PM, without question.

Regards, Rod.
    Agreed - don't buy any tool and then spend your time thinking about the one you didn't get. The $$ are important, but fade quickly with time.

That said - if you are pretty sure the 6" will accomodate your needs, then the PM. My personal situation - I started with a 6", and quickly realized that the supply of rough lumber was significanlty greater if I had an 8" jointer. I was ripping wood to get it across the jointer. Went to 8" PM 60A after 18 months (no room for 12"). The moral of the story - if you just want to get going, but expect to need an upgrade in a few years, then the Rigid today might make more sense as a place-holder. You'd "only" eat a couple hundred $$ on the sale of the used rigid.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I've been using a PM54 (not 54A) for about 20 years now and it's been a solid machine. Cant help with info on the Ridgid. My 54 will finally be going on CL soon as my 12" Hammer jointer/planer showed up last Friday. It will be nice having 12" jointer width but I was able to get an awful lot done with the 6" Powermatic.
    Use the fence Luke