Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PM2800 Drill Press

Clausing (this was my first choice), older Powermatics 1150A,
    Wilton (American mfg), Older Delta commercial. Commercial grade Taiwanese DP's are very well made heavy accurate DP's. I am beginning to understand and appreciate the term "Old Iron" as in made in America, at first I was into the cheaper Taiwanese/Chinese stuff but with experience this is changing quickly, I guess if I were an occasional user it would be different but I'm in my shop almost everyday making hi end furniture.

What's the difference between the Powermatic 1150 and 1150A?

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Vogel View Post
    Clausing (this was my first choice), older Powermatics 1150A,
    Wilton (American mfg), Older Delta commercial. Commercial grade Taiwanese DP's are very well made heavy accurate DP's. I am beginning to understand and appreciate the term "Old Iron" as in made in America, at first I was into the cheaper Taiwanese/Chinese stuff but with experience this is changing quickly, I guess if I were an occasional user it would be different but I'm in my shop almost everyday making hi end furniture.
    Thanks - confirmed my suspiscions - anything new is going to be $3.5k or north - far north in some cases. With your use, your selections certainly make sense. As an upper-middle-grade hobby guy, the price of poker is too high for me to play in your game.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

You can certainly find many excellent used machines on eBay at a fraction of the cost of new this is what I did. My DP is a Wilton 2015 bought for $600 + 278 S/H + restoration cost of $125.00 = $1000.00 well below a new machine, it's a bit large but very stable I can push hard and the DP will not deflect a bit I also tried a 2 1/2" Forstner bit in oak and it cut without any vibrations or shaking very smooth. Craigslist is another great place for Clausings especially is you live in the Northern states i.e. Michigan, Ohio etc they are made in Michigan.