Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knap on pawn stars.

Knap on pawn stars.

I don't know if anyone else watches it but I saw an episode of pawn stars where they bought a knap for $4300. It definitely had the jointer/ planer(looked to be 15" at least) and sliding table saw and I think it had the shaper.

I couldn't believe it. Some people just roll into luck. I saw one at a wood working show and it was beautiful.

That is a crazy show. One thing that really bugs me is that the owner thinks that ALL guns,even 17th.C. ones MUST SHOOT. He fires all of them. I wish someone would clue him in that this is totally inappropriate,and very dangerous.

I've always wondered why anyone would bring a gun to them instead of a gundealer, or a knapp to them instead of putting it on ebay.
    One episode a professional sold them a surplus hot air balloon. Wouldn't you think the could have called some other hot air companies, or there is a magazine or website he could have sold it through for twice the price?
    My 15 year old loves the show...

I do not think he bought the Knap, I watch this show all the time. I think that he borrowed some money with the Knap as collateral. If the customer does not pay, then I guess we can say he bought it.

Yes, I remember that episode. The owner pawned (got a loan) on it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Radek Kowalski View Post
    I do not think he bought the Knap, I watch this show all the time. I think that he borrowed some money with the Knap as collateral. If the customer does not pay, then I guess we can say he bought it.
    Right... he pawned it, not sold it.
    Have a Nice Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Radek Kowalski View Post
    I thought it was a sale but now I'm not sure. If it was a pawn it seems like really big risk but still better than practically giving the knap away.

My take on it

I'd figure that some of the folks that bring stuff in are doing it for the show, not just to get the best dollar. Everybody needs 15 minutes of fame right

Like a $60,000 Cobra body for $7,000.
    The show is stupid, and I don't watch it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Berk View Post
    I'd figure that some of the folks that bring stuff in are doing it for the show, not just to get the best dollar. Everybody needs 15 minutes of fame right
    It would beat hiding your kid in the attic and then letting a hot air balloon go!
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Like a $60,000 Cobra body for $7,000.
    The show is stupid, and I don't watch it.
    Actually I believe they paid $30K for the body.

As the owner says to practically everyone, it's worth $xxxxx at auction but I've got to make a profit. People don't realize that he isn't going to pay retail price. If they want retail price they have to be willing to wait it out and find a buyer.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    That is a crazy show. One thing that really bugs me is that the owner thinks that ALL guns,even 17th.C. ones MUST SHOOT. He fires all of them. I wish someone would clue him in that this is totally inappropriate,and very dangerous.
    That's why he has Chum Lee fire it. I like that show. The old man cracks me up.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

I can't imagine a dealer who would get an expert to come to the shop and evaluate an item right in front of the customer.

I alo can't imagine a pawn shop that would buy something like a beat up car or airplane,put a huge amount of money into it,and re sell it for big bucks. I would not buy a plane or a car from a pawn shop.

Blog Entries
    I can't imagine a dealer who would get an expert to come to the shop and evaluate an item right in front of the customer.

I alo can't imagine a pawn shop that would buy something like a beat up car or airplane,put a huge amount of money into it,and re sell it for big bucks. I would not buy a plane or a car from a pawn shop.
    Alot of that stuff doesn't stay in the pawn shop. They will go out and find a buyer... take it to a place that deals in that item. They will even take an item and put it up in a big auction. That is there business.
    Have a Nice Day!

Blog Entries
    That surprises me as well. Would like to hear why they do that.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good