Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone have a laser guide on their miter saw?

Bosch 4410L hits the line every time. The only complaint I have is it's hard (impossible) to see in direct sunlight. Other than that, I'm quite happy with it.

DW718 Must Have Accessory: Laser vs. LED

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Leichner View Post
    I use a DEWALT DWS7085 Miter Saw LED Work Light on a DW716 non-sliding 12" CMS. This IS NOT a laser, rather an LED light that shines down on both sides of the blade.

The light casts a crisp shadow on both sides of the blade including the outline of the individual teeth. Shadow and blade converge as the blade approaches the wood. Can't get more accurate than that!

Only drawback I've found is that the light is not really bright enough to use outdoors unless well shaded.

Best,
    Bob
    Bob,

Saw this posting and decided to "upgrade" from the $60 laser on my DW718 to a $20 LED light after reading the reviews on Amazon and checking out the pictures at Dewalt's website. Thanks for making me aware of the option.

The laser was better than nothing, I suppose, but I never felt like I got my money's worth. It did an okay job if you were rough framing, but I always did a "tooth" check on the cut line for anything detailed, which defeats the purpose of the laser.

Plus, the laser is only on 1 side of the blade, while the LED creates a kerf shadow on both sides.

I found the LED for $20 with FS at the following website and put in an order ($10 less than Amazon):
    http://www.hardwaresales.com/Accesso...-p7777878.html

Seems like a must have accessory for DW718 users, especially in my situation since I use my miter saw in a basement workshop and could use the extra LED light on the workpiece. Wish they would have had the LED option when I bought my DW718. With any luck, I'll be able to sell my laser to recoup some of the cost...

John

I have a 3 year Old DW716. Does anyone know if this led light is made to fit on one that old or does it have to be a newer saw?

I use it for setting angles sometimes but thats about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parrish View Post
    Mine never worked properly. I don't need it with my Kreg fence system. Heck I don't even measure anymore!
    It's killing me to hear of all these folks who don't have a Kreg or other stop system on their saw.

Guys who otherwise are certified tool geeks, are still using a measuring tape, a pencil mark, horsing around with the blade with their bare hands looking for the right tooth, and then making multiple cuts to "sneak" up on it. And then they repeat it multiple times for the same length...all that just to avoid a $100 stop purchase and an afternoon of building a proper miter saw station.

And yes, a laser is nice if it comes with the saw--I like mine for rough work.

-Steve

I have a Ridgid SCMS and use the laser on EVERY cut...rough or fine. Most reviews said this laser was not accurate and not adjustable. Wrong on both counts. When you start the saw, the laser is a dashed line, and once you have it dialed in, you can line up the cut to leave your mark line or cut it off exactly on the line. Howard, I have to disagree that arbor lasers are not adjustable. Almost all that I have seen can be adjusted. But like everything else we do in woodworking, it takes practice and patience. Some of the other techniques mentioned here are all good too. It's just a matter of what you are or get comfortable with to make those 1/64" cuts.
    Measure twice - cut twice - Still TOO short!

The add on lasers are for the birds. But the newer saws that have the lasers built in are a nice idea. If you spend some time setting up the laser and dialing it in, it is very usefull. I was told that lasers on drill presses are worthless too. The table, the serp belts, and laser are the only thing I like on my new jet drill press. The laser on that is very very usefull. I just think if properly aligned a laser on a miter saw that is adjust perfectly is a nice accesory. If you set it that the left edge of the laser is the left edge of the blade than what is not to trust.

I have one on a circular saw and it's not worth a damn there either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nolan View Post
    I have one on a circular saw and it's not worth a damn there either.
    +1 on that, I had one on a circular saw. It does more harm than good.