Thread: A paire of winding sticks!

A paire of winding sticks!

Good day Creekers.

I made my self a set of winding sticks 24" long, to upgrade my short one that are about 16". Wood is Mahogany and Maple with an BLO finish!
    Attached Images Attached Images

You were smarter in making your winding sticks than I was. I used a strip of ebony - but when used against a dark background, it's hard to see the edge. It would have been better if I had used a very light wood - but maybe that would be difficult to see the edge against a light background.

Anyway, scrap cherry with an ebony strip.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Lowes winding sticks

I built my winding sticks by buying a piece of 48" x 3/4" x 3/4" aluminum angle iron from Lowes. I cut it in half, filed off the sharp edges and painted one piece black. I think the total cost was about $8.

They work great. As far as I can tell they are very flat and don't seem to be effected by changes in humidity (wink, wink!). After I had mine built, I heard Chris Schwarz talk about doing the same thing.

Cheers,
    David

David, I did the same aluminum angle iron trick about 6 years ago except that I sprayed one black and the other white after drilling a hanging hole in one end of each. They are great to use and the high contrast is helpful for my aging eyes.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I do have a set of 36" angle aluminum also but wood feel better!! As for change with moisture, I'm in the Yukon so average relative humidity is about 40% in my basement shop, So not much moved after it settle!

Mike I was thinking about that, I have on wall that is white and one wall that is natural wood... I might put something a bit darker on the white wall, I have to try a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by David Gendron View Post
    ...Mike I was thinking about that, I have on wall that is white and one wall that is natural wood... I might put something a bit darker on the white wall, I have to try a few things.
    Along those lines ..

I made these several years ago and they have served me well. More recently I acquired a couple of machinist levels, and these work as well ... as long as there is enough light.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Was getting ready to make some of wood but the Angle Iron idea is great. I never thought about it and would save me a little time. Thanks.

Save you time? You still have to get out of the shop, drive to town, find a parking lot, find the angle iron, stand in line at the cash register, find out the guy in front of you got somthing that don't scan.... finaly you get out of there, back on the road... trafic...
    You would have been done with it and you would have builded or practiced hand tools skills!
    But to each one his priority
    Cheers

Derek, your stuff always look better!

I noticed that a few sets pictured here all have a large bevel along the tops. What purpose does this serve?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Skory View Post
    I noticed that a few sets pictured here all have a large bevel along the tops. What purpose does this serve?
    You need a base of a certain size just to stand the sticks up. The top doesn't have to be that wide so most people thin it down for looks. The top could be as thick as the base and it would work fine.

In fact, in a pinch, many people just take straight wood strips and use those. [I used a couple of pieces of MDF one time.]

There's nothing special about the design - you just want to be able to see the upper edge of the far stick right over the front stick, and see if it's aligns. If it doesn't, you have twist in the board (or wind* as some people call it).

Mike

[*Pronounced like "wine with a d" and not like the wind that blows. Or like a "wind up" toy.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 02-18-2010 at 12:07 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    ...The top doesn't have to be that wide so most people thin it down for looks. The top could be as thick as the base and it would work fine.
    Mike
    Thanks Mike. I made myself a pair about a month ago but they have straight sides. I did make them out of different colored woods for contrast. I must say that the bevel does add a nice touch. ...maybe my next pair.

Jeff and Mike, I might be wrong but I think the idea of the taper, is to exposed more surfaces to minimize wood movement?!? I read that, I think, on Shwarz blogs or in one of his magazins!