Thread: Spraying lacquer over urethane.

Question Spraying lacquer over urethane.

I just sprayed some 2 part urethane (automotive clearcoat) on a box, and I think to continue with additional coats is beyond my skills. If I sand the urethane, can I spray lacquer over it in order to finish my project?

Quote Originally Posted by Burt Pierce View Post
    I just sprayed some 2 part urethane (automotive clearcoat) on a box, and I think to continue with additional coats is beyond my skills. If I sand the urethane, can I spray lacquer over it in order to finish my project?
    What you sprayed is considered "stable" because it has a catalyst. Don't reverse procedure, however. A stable product will attack and dissolve an unstable product.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Phil,
    Do I understand you to be saying that I can spray lacquer on top of the "stable" catalyzed urethane?
    Burt

I'm going to suggest that you do not spray solvent-based lacquer over the finish you already applied unless you absolutely test it thoroughly on scrap. Lacquer has a tendency to do nasty things to other finishes with very few exceptions.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dewaxed Shellac

Dewaxed shellac is compatible over or under virtually any finish. I use it all the time rather than spend time trying to figure out what is on a piece that I'm refinishing. I usually use Zinnser Seal coat which is a dewaxed, 2lb.cut blond shellac. Other "off the shelf" shellac contains wax. With that said, they can be used if you let it sit for a day or two and then pour off only the solution on top. Don't stir it. The wax will have settled to the bottom.

Spray or brush on a coat, lightly sand and apply the finish of your choice.

Why do you want to put a less durable finish over a very hard, durable finish?

Another coat of your conv. varnish then you can rub it out to any shine you want.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Becker and Holmes are correct.
    If you are not sure always test. You shouldn't use a product over another without knowing first. An example is alkyd, (oil base), over lacquer. That will work, but lacquer over oil will result in an "alligator" finish. You would need a barrier between the alkyd and lacquer. Usually a catalyzed product is considered stable but I would verify before doing so. I'm not sure a pre-cat lacquer is considered stable.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain