Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Art Pieces

Art Pieces

I was browsing around on youtube again and found a segment with Ron Kent, and it was mentioned that his bowls sell for $2500 to $3000. I also noticed on Mike Mahoney's web side that he has a Kitchen set that is listed for over $8000. Some of the artist featured in the book "New Masters of Woodturning" have a lot of work in the Del Mano gallery priced at thousands of dollars. Im not trying to belittle their work and although the work they do is outstanding I have seen a lot posted on SMC and various club web sites that could give them a run for their money. What do these folks know that we don't ? Ron Kent for example was a stock broker and self taught wood turner. While the idea of making that much money for any one piece is really nice, the idea of doing work so good that people would be willing to spend so much of their hard earned money on it is even nicer. Any thoughts?

GT
    Never go to bed angry, stay up and fight. Its much more fun.

Yes I know exactly what you mean. Some of these pieces just don't seem worth it at all. For some of these artists size starts becoming a factor. Ron Kent for instance makes some rather large pieces. 4 or 5 feet tall as far as I've seen, even though I personally don't like any of his large vases. In other cases I guess you start paying for the name behind the piece. They just know how to put themselves out there the right way.

I think it's a mix of things. Someone's experience, their being published on the subject, of course the quality of their work as well as their creativity, their knowledge of wood and wood treatment, their knowing how to get their pieces in the right places, knowing the market they're after...and maybe just being dang more fortunate than most of us just because that's the way life is sometimes.

I'd imagine that anyone on the board here has come across a person or two that while they love and appreciate our work, they'd hesitate to pay even 20 bucks for a bowl, but in the right place that same bowl would fetch quite a bit more and the buyer would feel they got a steal of a deal.

Oh, I don't know. Last week I got a cheque for $4200 for one of my salad bowls. Of course, it bounced so high I'm getting threatening phone calls from NASA.

A friend of mine just got a walnut bowl at a yard sale - signed Bob Stocksdale - $2. I told him I would double his money, no deal.

Sorry But you've Ruffled my Feathers (LONG)

Quote Originally Posted by GLENN THOMAS View Post
    I was browsing around on youtube again and found a segment with Ron Kent, and it was mentioned that his bowls sell for $2500 to $3000. I also noticed on Mike Mahoney's web side that he has a Kitchen set that is listed for over $8000. Some of the artist featured in the book "New Masters of Woodturning" have a lot of work in the Del Mano gallery priced at thousands of dollars. Im not trying to belittle their work and although the work they do is outstanding I have seen a lot posted on SMC and various club web sites that could give them a run for their money. What do these folks know that we don't ? Ron Kent for example was a stock broker and self taught wood turner. While the idea of making that much money for any one piece is really nice, the idea of doing work so good that people would be willing to spend so much of their hard earned money on it is even nicer. Any thoughts?

GT
    Seriously You'd be surprised on what they know & we don't.
    I happen to be friends with exactly one of the people who you are referring to. He & his work has been published in Masters Woodturning Major works by Leading Artist.
    Many of his pieces have been in & some are currently in Del Mano. His pieces have sold for over $$10,000 some as high at $27,000 PLUS.
    I have also been lucky enough to Apprentice under him for the past 2 yrs. And I still work with him & still Every day I spend with him I learn something new that a ordinary WOOD TURNER would never know. I have been involved in wood working for over 30 yrs before I started working with this man. His attention to Detail is Unbelievable.There are times he will re do something for a few thousands of a inch. His pieces are Flawlessly sanded, & Meticulously Finished. Things that are only noticeable to a TRUE WOOD ART COLLECTOR.
    Yes there are TRUE COLLECTORS OF WOOD ART. & WHY SHOULDN'T THERE BE?
    People pay Millions for OIL painting, I've seen Glass art in the $400,000 range, Fiber art for over $40,000,Hand made Jewelery for over a Million.
    When someone buys one of their pieces it is a investment in a Piece of ART. I know of one piece that was sold the 1st time for about $10,000 about 3 years later resold for over $20,000. I'd say that was a pretty good return on investment for the 1st buyer wouldn't you. Most of these Artist Spend a enormous amount of time developing their own Signature Stile of Art which differences them fro others.
    Also This is a Full time BUSINESS for Many of these People you are referring to. They have a Ton of $$$ invested in their Business. They invest Countless Hours, & have Business insurance, Travel expenses to Galleries all over the Country & many other expense's.
    Then we could get in to Actors & athletics, Are any of them worth 15 to 20 Million to Do a movie or Play a Game of Sports?????
    To answer your question Hell Yes their work is worth their Prices.
    Can we afford to buy their work
    , probably not.
    But this is America & we do have free enterprise. & If people are willing to pay their prices then their work must be worth it to the buyer.

I've never quite figured out what drives the art market. But one thing I'm pretty certain is that it isn't always just the quality of craftsmanship involved. When an artist's work reaches that point where it becomes valuable as an investment, something that will give back more than just aesthetic value, that's when the price is no longer an issue.
    Last edited by Curt Fuller; 04-11-2010 at 10:02 AM.

Rufffled your feathers you sure they are still all there.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Snowden View Post
    Rufffled your feathers you sure they are still all there.
    I may still have a few, but who knows for how long.

Although I see what your saying Joe, let me try and put into perspective what I think Glenn is trying to say, and what I agree with.

Lets take 5 of the turners Glenn was talking about that he runs across on smc and other turning sites. Obviously I mean the more experienced people who don't sell pieces for 10,000$ but still produce excellent work over and over. Now mix their turnings in with one turner who does sell his work in that price range.

Could most people including turners identify the 10,000$ turning over the 1000$ turning in a blindfold(not literally) lineup. I'm not so sure. As Glenn has already said, he certainly has trouble seeing their material worth and so do I. That may simply speak to our own knowledge as to what is a good turning, but I'm guessing and again I may be 100% wrong, but the art collector who pays 10,000$ for this piece probably does not know a skewchigouge from a bedan, and chances are they like the looks of the piece and they are now paying for a name as well the impeccable piece. If its in "this gallery" and its got "this price tag" it must be worth "this much".

i dunno, thoughts? Is this even what you mean Glenn?

Alex
    I'm sure the real art collectors could care less as to what tools are use to make a piece. Just as I could care less as to what golf club Tiger WOODS uses.
    However These Top Professional Turning Artist Have payed there dues to get to the Stature they Deserve.
    And You are correct as to what most collectors are actually buying is a piece of the artist and this is as important to them as the actual piece of art is.

I am just happy to get one that is not used for fire wood.

I have seen some beautiful turning's .I will say that the big names comand some steep price's but if there is someone willing to pay i think the artist deserves what ever he get's.

Anytime a woodworking artist gets the kind of recognition that allows them to command that level of pricing, I say go get em! Does anyone not understand why Sam Maloof got the prices he got for his pieces? Or how long he "paid dues" before he was able to get those prices? It's true that for every artist who gains recognition, there are a thousand equally good (if not better) artists struggling in obscurity. And it's not limited to woodworking. How many phenomenally good musicians have you never heard of? But those that do get the recognition make it possible for everyone to get a little more for their work. just MMHO....
    David DeCristoforo

Joe,

Well now you really got MY feathers ruffled !!

What in the world did I say to get your feathers so ruffled up ?

I never tried to insult anyone or insinuate their work was not worth the prices they asked ! If the artist I mentioned or any other can ask a million dollars for a piece and someone wants to pay it then good for them. Do I wish I could do that ? Heck yea I wish I could. Do have any hard feelings toward them ? ABSOLUTELY NOT. If anything I would have to say that in some ways I admire them.

I understand the their art is their lively hood and that being the case it stands to reason they would have a lot of time and effort invested in their work. I'm not just talking about wood turners but artist of every kind.

Joe, I think you took my question in a spirit in which it was not intended. I simply asked "What do they know that we don't?" You cant say it's attention to detail because I as well as everyone on SMC already knows that. You can't say it's paying you dues because we all know that too. You can't say it's an investment of their time and money because we all already know that also. Everyone knows that if your going to ask those prices you better have the quality to back it up. So again what do they know that we don't?

I just wondered what they did to be as successful as they are that other talented but unknown wood turners and artist have not done.

Joe, you should go groom your feathers and Ill go groom mine.

GT
    Never go to bed angry, stay up and fight. Its much more fun.