Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oneida V-2000 DC installation

Oneida V-2000 DC installation

I just ordered this DC. Now I have to install on a wall bracket, up as close as possible to my 10' ceiling. Any advice from experienced folks with this DC would be appreciated. I am going to install the DC, then get the duct work from them in a separate shipment.

Joe, I have a 3 hp Oneida, and it is pretty top-heavy. The way that I assembled mine was to bolt everthing together flat on the floor, and then to stand it up in to place. After that it could be hoisted up along the wall using a strap and a come-a-long suspended from the rafters.

Did you install the wall mount plate first and then hoist up the DC to bolt into the plate?

I mounted the plate and then built the cyclone on to it. I have a Gorilla.

Just be aware that mounting to the wall or ceiling vs. using a stand usually results in much more noise, due to the vibrations being transferred to the wall causing it to act like a big "sounding board" on a guitar. If you mount to a wall, various threads on the topic recommend you isolate the DC as much as possible, both by using shock absorbing rubber pads on the mount, and also where the mount joins the wall if able. I've seen other folks suspend that mount from the rafters on shock cord type setups to reduce noise.

By all accounts, it's much worse if using an interior wall in a garage shared with the house.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    Joe, I have a 3 hp Oneida, and it is pretty top-heavy. The way that I assembled mine was to bolt everthing together flat on the floor, and then to stand it up in to place. After that it could be hoisted up along the wall using a strap and a come-a-long suspended from the rafters.
    Same. Sub assemble and hoist it. A little scary working under it to attach the bracket though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacArthur View Post
    Just be aware that mounting to the wall or ceiling vs. using a stand usually results in much more noise, due to the vibrations being transferred to the wall causing it to act like a big "sounding board" on a guitar. If you mount to a wall, various threads on the topic recommend you isolate the DC as much as possible, both by using shock absorbing rubber pads on the mount, and also where the mount joins the wall if able. I've seen other folks suspend that mount from the rafters on shock cord type setups to reduce noise.

By all accounts, it's much worse if using an interior wall in a garage shared with the house.
    Agreed. the more mass the better - or - isolate a lot. I have mine mounted to the outside wall (1/2" OSB sheathing both sides, 2x6 studs, insulation, outside barn siding) and from 10 feet you can barely hear it. This would not be the case for a shared interior wall. I'd use a stand and isolate that from the floor very well.

I'm about to order a V-2000 or V-3000. Are you guys mounting to save shop space? I also have 10 ft ceilings in my garage and I guess it would be great to mount it high to reduce the space used. However, to start, I was just going to set it up with the provided stand.

Anyone with pointers on why one over the other?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W Armstrong View Post
    I'm about to order a V-2000 or V-3000. Are you guys mounting to save shop space? I also have 10 ft ceilings in my garage and I guess it would be great to mount it high to reduce the space used. However, to start, I was just going to set it up with the provided stand.

Anyone with pointers on why one over the other?

Thanks
    I mounted on the wall because I could and to make sweeping and chip dumping easier. No stand/obstacles.

I was a bit concerned about footprint size. Not a problem if it's high enough the floorspace can mostly be shared below the DC, piping and filter.

Blog Entries
    I just completed a 2 HP Oneida installation and chose to use the stand.

I thought the dust collector would be quieter using the stand.

I put some small casters on my chip container so it's easy to roll it out from under the stand.

PHM

Here's mine

Wall mounted over a permenant chip box, and a shot of the vibration dampers and brace on the wall bracket.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Wall mounted over a permenant chip box, and a shot of the vibration dampers and brace on the wall bracket.
    What material did you use to make the vibration dampers?

Dampers..,

Hi Joe,

I bought them from McMaster-Carr, they were about $4 each. They have tons of different choices, but basically you just have to specify weight capacity, thread size and damper material. If you need it, I can try to find my reciept and give you the part #. I tried the system without them first, just to see if they made a difference and they really do. My cyclone is mounted on a wood framed wall and there was a significant reduction in noise and more importantly vibration with the dampers installed. I actually suggested to Oneida that they either include them in the package or at least offer them as an option.

John

Blog Entries
    I used a Genie-lift that I rented; kinda like a hand-crank forklift. This made the whole operation much less stressful on my muscles and my psyche.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Best recommendation I can make is to have at least one helper....both for the utility and for extra safety.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...