Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Square D counterfeit breaker recall...

Phil, I agree with you ... contact Square D and ask about Miami Breaker.
    Leo

Thanks guys, I'll do that. I found the story while surfing on Netscape news one day at work when I was bored. It was in a group of recall information listings. Just thought maybe they were the clearing house. They haven't tried to sell me anything. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

So let me get this right.

You bought these off E-Bay for your house knowing they were used?

Why in God's name would you purchase "used" breakers from someone over the internet to place in your home when new ones cost under $15?????? (Most $6 to $8)

For your home where your loved ones live you take a chance on something as critical as an electric breaker which could cause a fire?

Sorry no smpathy from me on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Luch View Post
    So let me get this right.

You bought these off E-Bay for your house knowing they were used?

Why in God's name would you purchase "used" breakers from someone over the internet to place in your home when new ones cost under $15?????? (Most $6 to $8)

For your home where your loved ones live you take a chance on something as critical as an electric breaker which could cause a fire?

Sorry no smpathy from me on this one.
    He posted this as an FYI for the rest of us so we could go and check our own panels. This seems pretty uncalled for, especially one month late to the party.

Peter, I didn't ask for sympathy from you or anyone else. I bought what I bought. It's not in my home, it's a detached shop. The breakers don't look like they have ever been used. They look like overstock or left overs. I'm sure you can't advertise them as new or you could get in trouble. These weren't from an individual, they were from a company. I've personally never given them a second thought until I saw the notice on this recall. Never an issue. This simply started as a public service announcement. Take it as such.

I still have 4 of the 20 amp single pole breakers I haven't used. I've looked for the yellow chromatic clip, and I still don't see what is described, but Miami Breaker won't elaborate on this or show a picture. So I'm still looking for clarification on this. Jim.

added: I've emailed Schneider Electric to see if they can clarify this, or if it is some sort of hoax. Maybe Miami Breaker is the company that put out the fakes. Who knows. Saga continues....
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 09-06-2010 at 12:20 PM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Got a quick reply from Schneider Electric today on the recall. Basically they caught Miami Breaker selling counterfeits. So evidently, only breakers sold by them are the bad ones. Doesn't mean I don't have some as I bought from a company out of Houston that could have bought from Miami Breaker. I've asked for clarification on the yellow chromatic clip and where that is. The 5 extra 20 amp single pole breakers I have do have the SD logo on the side of the breaker. But I'll need to power the main breaker down and pull each of the others to verify they are ok. Hope this helps anyone that isn't sure. Jim.