Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6" PVC in Ft Collins CO Area?

6" PVC in Ft Collins CO Area?

Anyone know where to buy 6" PVC Drain pipe in the Ft Collins CO Area? I have called about a dozen places looking for 2729 (thin wall) pipe to no avail. I have the name of distributor in Denver but prefer to avoid the 3 hour round trip...

Thanks for any help.

Chris

Try John Deere Landscapes in Loveland. Most John Deere landscapes carry 6" ASTM 2729 S&D. One CAUTION If you are not a contractor or landscaper, they will try to charge you double! Have contractor or landscaper friend buy it for you!

Horizon Pipe has it, but their only 2 locations in Co are Littleton and Aurora. Doesn't help you much.
    Are you asking for 2729? In my experience, they don't know the pipe by the ASTM designation. Ask for thin wall gravity fed drain pipe. That they understand. Ask a plumber or 2 where they buy their pipe. You want the biggest pipe yard you can find. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Horizon in Aurora has it, but you probably knew that. Pretty cheap, though - might be worth the trip if you're buying a lot of it.

RNR Supply

Chris,

I've gotten all of my 6" sewer & drain pipe (2729) at RNR Supply located at Mulberry & Timberline. They also carry all of the fittings, but I find their cash and carry prices not to be very competitive with some online sources. If I'm not in a hurry, I now get my fittings online from Ace Hardware.

-Todd
    A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Franks View Post
    Chris,

I've gotten all of my 6" sewer & drain pipe (2729) at RNR Supply located at Mulberry & Timberline. They also carry all of the fittings, but I find their cash and carry prices not to be very competitive with some online sources. If I'm not in a hurry, I now get my fittings online from Ace Hardware.

-Todd
    I checked out the RNR website and it appears they want almost $30 ($2.99 per ft.) for a 10' length of 6" solid S&D, ASTM 2729. Unless prices have really gone up, that is almost double what I paid here in NC not that long ago, and about what John Deere charges non-commercial customers! Again, unless prices have gone up, 10' of 6" S&D should cost $15-$20.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Franks View Post
    Chris,

-Todd
    I checked out the RNR website and it appears they want almost $30 ($2.99 per ft.) for a 10' length of 6" solid S&D, ASTM 2729. Unless prices have really gone up, that is almost double what I paid here in NC not that long ago, and about what John Deere charges non-commercial customers! Again, unless prices have gone up, 10' of 6" S&D should cost $15-$20.

Hey isn't Ft Collins the home of Balloon Boy?

For the cost of 6" PVC, you could probably get 6" spriral duct from Hercules Industrial for close to the same price. They have a branch in FC IIRC.

ASTM 3034 also works. I bought mine at Menards, but I dont know if they have Menards in your area.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    ASTM 3034 also works. I bought mine at Menards, but I don't know if they have Menards in your area.
    ASTM 2729 (S&D) and ASTM 3034 (also called SDR 35) both have the same OD, but 3034 has thicker wall and is quite a bit heavier and more expensive.

Hey isn't Ft Collins the home of Balloon Boy?
    They just moved to Florida. Hopefully they don't come back.

I talked to RnR and they told me they were out of stock.

The distributor in Commerce City says $1.90/foot - $1/ft cheaper the RnR's website.

I'll try RnR again tomorrow. I need about 60' so price matters some. Maybe guy last week at RnR was having a bad day.

Looks like McMaster-Carr fittings are cheaper even shipped.

I may call Hercules to see what the price is for spiral.

Thanks for inputs!

Chris

Are you totally convinced that you need the plastic? I used 30 gauge snap lock furnace duct, way cheaper, it works well and you don't get static discharge.

From personal experience cutting sheet metal to build my cyclone, I would rather use 10' long sections of PVC than 5' sections of snaplock- no snake bites. PVC is easier to seal, easier to support, much more durable, less likely to be damaged when handling, and is quieter. Metal is lighter and there is a certain industrial appearance pazazzz to it, however.

The biggest difference between metal and PVC seems to be in the price of fittings (pipe prices are not that much different). Check out the prices of metal vs PVC (2729) for a good 6X6X6 wye. ($39 at Oneida for metal, $15.40 from McMaster-Carr for PVC). Some folks have been lucky to find a local HVAC installer that will sell fittings to them at cost which can save $. The above comparisons are for ASTM D2729 (S&D, "solid perf", thin wall gravity drain, etc.) PVC, NOT Sched 40- The price of sched 40 fittings and pipe can equal or exceed metal.

So - finally made it to RNR. They gave me a break on the listed price but unfortunately the pipe is green. *sigh* Should look odd against the white ceiling in my shop and with the white fittings I am ordering from McMaster. BTW McMaster 6" Wye = $15.40, RNR = $31!!! WOW. RNR's looked like sdr35/3034 but the price! Ordering from McMaster now.

Should I paint the pipe white or go for the frankenstein green/white look??

Thanks again for all the recommendations.
    Chris