Thread: Antique tools in Hyde Park/Rhinebeck NY?

Antique tools in Hyde Park/Rhinebeck NY?

I'm in Hyde Park and Rhinebeck on business this week. Are there any antique dealers that have old planes and chisels?

thanks, Jake

I'm from Hyde Park, NY. My high school has some exceptionally out of date tools, but that's probably not what you're looking for.

There's a lot of really marginal antique stores in Hyde Park and nice ones in Rhinebeck because there's a lot of 'antiquing' by the NYC crowd. There are a lot of second houses in the area. There's probably a lot more furniture than tools as a result.

Go to the Vanderbilt mansion and check out the furniture, architecture, art, etc. It's right on Rte 9 in HP. It's the best site there in terms of my interests. The Mills mansion is second followed by the Roosevelt's, which has the Presidential Library.

Eleanor Roosevelt set up a furniture shop, Val Kill, for the locals to work at during the first great depression. It's a pretty neat story. You can check out parts of it. Again, it's in HP, but off 9G.

Because FDR is from the area there is a lot of WPA, WWW, and other works projects from the depression in the area: PO, middle school, parks, etc.

The Beekman Arms is all I really know about Rhinebeck.

What's your business there?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bickford View Post
    I'm from Hyde Park, NY. My high school has some exceptionally out of date tools, but that's probably not what you're looking for.

There's a lot of really marginal antique stores in Hyde Park and nice ones in Rhinebeck because there's a lot of 'antiquing' by the NYC crowd. There are a lot of second houses in the area. There's probably a lot more furniture than tools as a result.

Go to the Vanderbilt mansion and check out the furniture, architecture, art, etc. It's right on Rte 9 in HP. It's the best site there in terms of my interests. The Mills mansion is second followed by the Roosevelt's, which has the Presidential Library.

Eleanor Roosevelt set up a furniture shop, Val Kill, for the locals to work at during the first great depression. It's a pretty neat story. You can check out parts of it. Again, it's in HP, but off 9G.

Because FDR is from the area there is a lot of WPA, WWW, and other works projects from the depression in the area: PO, middle school, parks, etc.

The Beekman Arms is all I really know about Rhinebeck.

What's your business there?
    Thanks Matt. I'm actually at the Beekman while here. Neat place. And I'm doing a trail master plan for NPS for all of the park properties. So we'll be checking out all of the properties, though primarily outdoors.