Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: iPad

Work bought us one for "research purposes," and when I can get it away from my wife I find it useful for email and browsing and it sure beats running to the computer or having the laptop around for that, but I'm really not sold on it as any kind of productivity tool for a home user. However, if you were managing logistics or materials for a large facility or plant, a nurse or doctor (in a rural area for example) and other jobs, it could be very helpful (when apps exist to support more work). At home, it's fun, it's neat, it's cool, but I can't think that anyone actually *needs* one. It does nothing to improve the communication between a married couple! I watched some Tommy Mac videos on it this evening sitting one foot from my wife who was trying to read.

Oh, and it's good for checking SMC when you are in the TV room like, right now!

Blog Entries

Ipad

I have one and it is great. Yesterday I read a book on it, looked at Sawmill creek, used it for reference making a turkey roulade, and watched a video. It is great to travel with as well. I have ~10 videos, 30-40 books, and 3000+ songs. You can watch 3-4 movies on it on a single charge.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I like the concept of the Ipad but will wait till it has a few reincarnations. My primary use right now would be for school to view elcture slides and work on assignments. What I would be waiting for is a docking station that allows the user to use an external keyboard and monitor. I'm also hoping they will make the over all size smaller and have a mobile phone. But if apple doesn't do it someone else will. Which in someways would be better as Mac Office is junk compared to PC Office.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 11-25-2010 at 7:23 PM.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Brian,

I have a bluetooth keyboard and a video connector cable for my Ipad. I also have a camera connection kit that allows me to either plug my camera to the device or to insert SD cards and upload pictures directly.

Google is working on an Ipad type device that will run their own operating system.

Love mine, not a mac user either. I got it to be an e-book reader over a Kindle, since the Kindle is not backlit and the iPad is. Reading in bed with a sleeping wife is easier as a result. I use it more than I thought I would for email and web surfing.

Some .asp webpages won't render properly, also had the same flash frustrations as others. Love Netflix movies when traveling, also easier than hauling along the laptop.

A reputation for craftsmanship is a responsibility
    to never take lightly.

Wanted to say thanks to everyone for their replies again. I did get my wife a iPad for Christmas and so far she really likes it. It does a lot more than I thought they did. Maybe I'll get another in February when they come out with the next version. She bought her first book for it last night and really likes it much better over a paperback. Well lit and she doesn't get cramps in her hands holding the book open. My son was playing a game called "angry Birds" on it last night was really hooked on it. Does graphics really well.

Blog Entries
    I held off on my Chanukah purchase due to the iPad 2 coming out in April (it will be released from the manufacturers in January, but won't make it into retail streams until April). The price should be roughly the same, but the new one will have 2 cameras (forward- and reverse-facing), USB ports, and their new high-res Retina display (like on the latest iPhone), among other things.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

most incredible app --- Star Walk

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I held off on my Chanukah purchase due to the iPad 2 coming out in April (it will be released from the manufacturers in January, but won't make it into retail streams until April). The price should be roughly the same, but the new one will have 2 cameras (forward- and reverse-facing), USB ports, and their new high-res Retina display (like on the latest iPhone), among other things.
    Thanks for the info Dan.

Blog Entries
    Peter,

Expect some decent deals on the original when #2 comes out... people will be wanting to dump their remaining stock.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    (Personally, I just want a phone that simply makes voice calls.)
    We all do. We're just too dazzled by the sparkly objects to remember what a phone is for. I do like the idea of a good, versatile PDA. Just don't jam it into my phone; it makes the phone too big and the PDA too small ;-)

Got my wife one for Christmas - she loves it.

I didn't know what to get her and she been talking about them...shuttered at the price though.

I think before you purchase an iPad you need to realize it is for "consuming" information and not "creating" information...if you want to create buy a laptop...you'll be happier.

Jim
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
    I think before you purchase an iPad you need to realize it is for "consuming" information and not "creating" information...if you want to create buy a laptop...you'll be happier.

Jim

Just curious why you'd say that. They have the entire package available for creating documents, presentations, spreadsheets, and websites. What else would you like to create that you can't? AutoCAD even has an application for it that allows editing of AutoCAD drawings. Not sure what you want it to do that it can't do, considering it's not a full blown laptop.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Just curious why you'd say that. They have the entire package available for creating documents, presentations, spreadsheets, and websites. What else would you like to create that you can't? AutoCAD even has an application for it that allows editing of AutoCAD drawings. Not sure what you want it to do that it can't do, considering it's not a full blown laptop.
    The reason why I said that is I personally think the iPad is great for browsing the Internet, email, photos, etc...ok so now you have more applications that you can use on the iPad but how well can it really do all of those things. You probably need to get a keyboard then maybe a disc drive so you might as well just get a MacBook...which I have by the way and think it is great!
    If I was to purchase an iPad that is how I would use it...consuming not creating...if I want to create I'll use my MacBook.
    As always JMHO!

Jim
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."