Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally saw an episode of Rough Cut on PBS in the LA area

Finally saw an episode of Rough Cut on PBS in the LA area

I had a chance to see an episode of this new show on my local KOCE today. Eventhough I'm a fan of Tommy's work and as a casual contributor to his community, I had not seen an episode of the show before today. Having seen Tommy's podcast I'm familiar with his style and his skills so his addrenaline-filled zest for woodworking and his down to earth personality didn't shock me or take getting used to. But, if you're used to Norm Abrams more down home at-ease style it will probably seem like Tommy talks like he's had one too many espressos for the day!

Personality aside, there was so much valuable content in a single non-stop 30 minute episode that I had to wonder how casual non-watchers would perceive the show. But, for us woodworkers, there's some great content here. In this episode Tommy met with Alan Breed who showed his approach for cutting speed dovetails by hand. For those of you impressed by Frank Klaus, you should check it out. I'm definately going to learn this approach because I'd bet for building simple projects it would be faster than setting up and using a dovetail jig and the way he does layout without even dividers is killer.

As far as the actual build, I'm amazed that the entire build of a project could be squeezed into a 30 minute show. Let's just say I'm glad that I tivo'd it because I plan to watch several parts over and over and save them in my woodworking library where I keep methods of work for joinery on my computer. I've built the step stool he builds on this episode and even his podcast covering the build of this project takes probably 2 hours of footage to cover. Here he covers it with high quality filming and editing of course and the episode probably takes up 2/3 of the show episode. If I were trying to build that step stool just by following the show it would be hard. I'd either consider the show to be inspiration for my own design or I'd have to go to the forum that supports his show and ask the people there for the lumber list and the dimensions. From what I've seen there are some very skilled guys there including a guy named Eli and Tommy's old teacher from North Benet Street School where Tommy got his break in woodworking and unlike the "members only" feel of period furniture grade work online communities I've visited, these guys are helpful and more than willing to help others who sincerly want to learn.

On a purely personal note, I'm honestly glad to see that Tommy and Al didn't try to act like highbrow woodworking snobs once they got a show. I'd like to see him slow down a bit and become more at ease in front of the camera, and I think that will come in time as he gets a good sense about how to pace himself to cover everything needed in a single show. Otherwise, I'd like to see it become a full hour so he could expand on both the out of shop exploration scenes and the in shop builds. At the least, this show is going to inspire a lot of new woodworkers to stretch beyond basic cabinetry by seeing a young enthusiastic guy having fun creating beautiful stuff. I just hope that Tommy keeps up with a serious approach to exploring furniture grade woodworking and the show doesn't take a detour once the fan mail starts coming from all the non-woodworking females who think he's cute and talks funny. My wife never sat through a single episode of New Yankee Workshop eventhough Norm was a great guy and she met him with me when he was in Orange, CA a couple years ago. But, she sat through the entire episode and said "he's like the Bobby Flay of woodworking." Hopefully he will get another season of episodes in the can before casual viewers discover him and he slides into more of the DIY/HGTV turf.

They are just now showing it in the northern indiana area and I am going to enjoy it. I wouldn't mind showing more of the build process and breaking things up into multiple shows.

Blog Entries
    I saw Rough Cut for the first time yesterday. It was the Shaker Table. He did a lot of fast talking and didn't make much sawdust. Having built Shaker tables, it left me a bit cold. I'll watch again. I really don't care for furniture with ragged edges though.

Blog Entries
    I have seen 2 or 3 episodes and I have not been impressed. I will continue to watch when I get a chance because it is woodworking, but he is no "Norm".........
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I've seen 2 or 3 myself. I can't exactly put my finger on what's different in his show and Norms but I don't seem to follow Tommy's show as well in an educational, instructional, or inspirational way. May just be me but I suspect it's a production or editing problem. I think that the shows producers need to study the way that New Yankee was produced. Just seems like much more planning went on for New Yankee as far as project step presentation and clarity. JMHO
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

His shows need to be 1 hour IMO. Not only does he spend unecessary time going on "road trips" to visit the mill or a old church but he skips lots of the steps (especially the hard ones). At least his end results are nice.

But we should probably count our blessings that there are any woodworking shows on. I believe Norm lost funding for any new shows.

You know guys

I have watched it 4 times

And guys I just can't get into it.

You know guys there is just something about it.

And guys it just goes so fast

You know guys if he would just stop saying you know guys

He could get a lot more done, you know what I mean guys.

He needs to slow down. Show a little more of the actual process. I like the road trips... but they take away from the actual build. I lose interest pretty quick. Honestly, I would rather watch old episodes of Norm. At least I get a really good idea of the process each piece requires.

Quote Originally Posted by John A. Callaway View Post
    I like the road trips... but they take away from the actual build.
    Norm did that, too, though, and I found it interesting. Oddly, I've NEVER felt that NYWS was "rushed", but even the Rough Cut episodes where Tommy does the simple, simple projects, he seems REALLY rushed. That takes a lot away from the enjoyment for me.

And Bill, that made me laugh out loud

The shows aired on 27 Dec here, and I had DVR set to record them... but my TV died on 26 Dec! So now I'm not sure if it got recorded, or over-written yet, or what! Of course Sony sent me the wrong part, so I'm still waiting to get back on the tube. Haven't seen Tommy's show yet, but was really looking forward to it after browsing the online stuff.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Uh Dave, are you trying to say you haven't had a single working tv for almost three weeks? That is the craziest thing I have ever heard. Isn't there some sort of government emergency funding that kicks in once your tv is broke for more then a few days? And yes, Bill may have had the funniest post of the year so far. It also happens to be true. Half of the dialogue that he uses is "personalty" and has nothing to do with the actual project at hand. Also he uses Eli's name about a hundred and forty times to many a show. All that having been said other then sports wood working and home improvement shows are my favorite thing in the world so hopefullynhegets his show figured out and it does well because I'll watch it no matter what but I don't get that feeling that many other people will.

We just started getting it in Seattle too. I'm feeling the same way as others have expressed here. I really don't like the fact that he *tells* us how to do so many of the steps rather than actually *doing* them. And Norm did do road trips to show the original pieces, but they only took 2 minutes. Tommy spends way more time touring and doing background. Too much for a half hour

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    You know guys if he would just stop saying you know guys
    Heh. I don't know if anyone else here watches cooking shows, but Ming Tsai talks to us "guys" constantly too. Drives me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Winterowd View Post
    Heh. I don't know if anyone else here watches cooking shows, but Ming Tsai talks to us "guys" constantly too. Drives me crazy.
    I've noticed that, but it never really bothered me until I saw Rough Cut. Now I can't watch Ming, either :/

Biggest difference I have noticed between Tommy and Norm is Tommy assumes you have seen the previous episodes and understand the techniques he has used so he will say he milled the wood and moves on.

Norm on the other hand gives a blow by blow on everyshow so each show is in its self. For a beginner Norm is preferred because he goes step by step and will repeat the same steps on each show, say cutting tenons.

For someone with the basic skills Tommy is great. Watching how he made the serving tray and the steps to rip the boards with the story stick was great. I would have never thought to do this. Also, how he lays out the wood and labels it is helpful. The blanket chest is a good example.

I agree he packs a lot in the show and may need to work on the pace but its only season 1. Season 2 should bring inprovements. He told me you don't realize how fast 25 minutes goes by.

Cool Thanks for the post

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Comi View Post
    I had a chance to see an episode of this new show on my local KOCE today...
    I'd yet to find the show here on the off-occasion that I'd look for it in the program guide.

I just did a DVR search and it looks as if it's on two channels KOCE (channel 50) and KVCR (channel 24), both off-air channels here in the L.A. area.

It looks as if they're broadcasting different episodes next Saturday (episodes three and four) so at least I'll get to catch up a bit faster with the two channels broadcasting.
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California