Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Burl Pagoda

It's sweet, John. I'd say more but I'm plumb tuckered out from packing and moving and wishing it was done! So let me just say I really like this. Esp. the holly accents. Veeeeery nice!
    David DeCristoforo

I'm obviously new here, and so, take it with a grain... I'm generally not a fan of finials, but the replication of the main form is an outstanding design. And being new, I'll be bold enough to say that if it were me, I'd cut the finial off at the top of the replication and leave the pointy stick out of the picture. The tiny form would then be a substantial enough handle to lift the top off. However, it's an incredibly beautiful piece the way it is. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    John... WOW ... This is just over the top!

I like this one a lot. The contrast between the BLM and the Holly are really nice and something different. The proportions are well balanced as well. It is really hard to find anything to critique anything about this one. One thing that I would wonder, is what would the finial look like with a very small bead of the BLM at the top detail. Kinda a double dose of finial extras.

Very nice and I see why the Mrs likes it.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

You all are just way too kind! Thanks so much for the comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hubl View Post
    I was just looking for some info on these multi piece finials. Any pics on how your doing them?
    Mark, no pics on this run. Seems like I did one once before, but it is really pretty simple. The cove base is turned as a separate piece, with the bottom facing the tailstock. It is completely sanded out, and then parted off. I use soft jaws to grasp the bottom, and finish off the top and drill a hole for a tenon. The burl is turned, hole drilled in the top, and then parted down to a tenon to fit the hole in the cove base. Same process for the top stem - turned and parted down to a tenon to fit in the top of the burl insert. All pieces are finished and buffed prior to assembly. They are glued together with 5 min. epoxy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Thiebaut View Post
    I am working on a finial right now that I started a couple of days ago that is similar in that I am useing a different kind of wood inserted into the finial just as you have done here, hopefully have the whole piece done in a couple days now, again great job!
    Tim, I look forward to seeing it! I bet you are doing a great job on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    .......I sure hope you do not become bored at this type of form...
    Not likely, Roger. This is my favorite style, and sort of a fallback for me. I have been trying to do some variations. As I said - some work, some not so much!!

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    ...I'm plumb tuckered out from packing and moving and wishing it was done!
    David, I bet you are! I hope never to move again - or, at least be so old and senile that I don't realize what is going on!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Camillo View Post
    ... leave the pointy stick out of the picture...
    But, Jack, I live for little pointy sticks!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    ...a very small bead of the BLM at the top detail. Kinda a double dose of finial extras.
    Thanks, Scott. I did contemplate that, but getting alignment on something that small would be tricky. Perhaps that is something to consider on another one. Thank goodness for lighted magnifiers!!

Great piece John! The white holly makes a great contrast to the BLM. I haven't been able to figure out what wood I have that it would complement, guess I should just try it.

Blog Entries
    Okay, my jaw just dropped to the floor. Wow!
    Have a Nice Day!

Can't add anything to the comments other than beautiful.

Stately piece! As others have commented, I like the repeated patterns - it proves that the shape is not an accident! My only critique is on the uppermost bead. Seems to me that the top of the bead should be completed just a little bit more. I love the holly, it has such a pure clean look to it.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

John that is a beautiful piece. I really like the finial on this one. Form, finish and contrasting woods just look great.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

John as usual a great job. I like the design and the wood. You have become a talented and skillful turner. I believe the piece would look just as good without the pedestal, but it looks good the way it is. It's nice to have someone like you to show us what can be done.
    Fred

Dang John! I'm wanting to say that you done outdone yourself, but I'd be afraid to be wrong. That is one heck of a piece, and just so you know, I want to buy your first DVD, signed of course, when you start making them and this piece needs to be on the cover!

This looks like you should wear a tuxedo to hold it.

Beautiful!
    Change One Thing

I'm not usually crazy about hollow forms on pedestals, but I really like this, in part I think because the holly pedestal kind of dissappears. It gives the form a lightness, almost like levitating. The execution is, as ususal for you John, quite exquisite. I leak the simple bead detail to add texture and a shadow line.

John, great looking work! The subtle contrast and the form work very well together. I think this one's a keep!!!