Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classifieds etiquette.

Classifieds etiquette.

To clarify, when I post something in the classified section, my current understanding of the "rules" is that the first 'creeker to contact me (by PM or reply to the thread) with an "I'll buy it" without qualifications, "I might be interested's", questions, or attempted haggling is the one who gets the item, even if they are not first to respond. This especially holds true if I sign on and have four (so to me, simultanious) responses in my inbox, and three of them beat around the bush, and one is bona fide agreement to buy the item. If this is a misunderstanding on my part would a moderator or some other qualified person please enlighten me? If I am correct in my understanding then I will continue to do business here this way. I want to be fair, but this is a Filene's Basement free-for-all, is it not?

Not sure what hte standard is but if I replied to an add to say I'll give you 70% for your item and someone replied 2 minutes after me offering 100% I'd guess the 100% guy gets the item.

Blog Entries
    There are no hard rules as to who you can sell your item to... it's yours.

That said, if you accept any specific offer, it's common courtesy to follow through. If you accepted the 70% offer and two minutes later someone said they would pay 100%, common courtesy says the 70% offer still wins the item... but you're not obligated to do so by anything other than your conscience. Reneg on enough deals, though, and you'll get a bad rep.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Hi Derek & Dan,
    Thanks for the quick reply. No reneging here. I simply responded to the first person with an "I'll buy it" telling them how to pay me, and then edited the original thread saying the item had been sold. One of the other respondents then claimed my actions were "bogus". Just making sure I'm not the one out of line here. For the record: to me, a deals a deal, and latecomers are latecomers, no matter what they say, haggle, or offer. I've worked in the auction world for years, and it's the one party with their paddle in the air when the gavel comes down that wins. Thanks guys.

I agree with you and the others - first to "put their money where there mouth is" gets it.

In the case of having several offers waiting the next time I signed on where the first offers are not for the full amount or have other qualifications while later offers are for the full amount, I'd contact the initial offers and tell them I have another offer for the full price but since they were first I'd give them a chance to take it for full price. If they're not interested, I'd go down the line. Similarly, if someone offers less than what I'm willing to sell it for, I'll let them know I'm hoping for a better offer but will keep them in mind if I don't get any other offers.

But what about the people that say they will take it, but never do?
    I have had this happen twice.

In my case I alerted the guy who made a firm offer with the fact I had other inquiries, and would like to close a deal quickly so I would know he was a serious buyer. The others had either wanted me to pay for shipping, indicated they "might be interested" etc. So I sold it to the first guy with cash on the barrelhead. He paid within minutes. Next time I'll do as you suggest, Thomas, and go down the line, but I won't be willing to let anyone hold the item hostage for very long, a few hours maybe, and less if I see the green dot lit up next to their name when I ping them.

Probably no hard and fast right answer. You just have to do what you see as fair. Application of the golden rule is about the only sure guideline. Easy to see how folks could get there nose out of joint. Imagine an in the flesh example. A potential buyer is haggling with you over the price, I walk up and but in saying I'll pay full price and you stop haggling and sell to me. I think anyone who was playing the role of the haggler will be ticked off in a big way. Online, who is to say what happens. Does the guy that quickly types I'll offer you $20 bucks less for it deserve a superior position to the guy that started typing his offer to take the item at the advertised price, but spent several minutes correcting typos, checking his bank account, and/or checking his PayPal account (or creating one)?

I think if you are a potential buyer and want the item but first need some questions answered, then you should phrase your offer appropriately (That's a great price, I want the item if it will fit a brand xxxx gizmo). Since we are all friendly here at SMC, I think that should put them at the top of the list. Any bargain hunters that want to haggle shouldn't go on the list until you accept their offer. Once you except an offer, I think you are committed to it as long as the buyer follows through as agreed. I see no reason you can't except an offer with caveats (I've got two people saying they will buy it for full price, but if they don't follow through by Tomorrow, I'll accept your offer).

No matter what you do, some folks are going to be disappointed and mouth off.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bank View Post
    I agree with you and the others - first to "put their money where there mouth is" gets it.

In the case of having several offers waiting the next time I signed on where the first offers are not for the full amount or have other qualifications while later offers are for the full amount, I'd contact the initial offers and tell them I have another offer for the full price but since they were first I'd give them a chance to take it for full price. If they're not interested, I'd go down the line. Similarly, if someone offers less than what I'm willing to sell it for, I'll let them know I'm hoping for a better offer but will keep them in mind if I don't get any other offers.
    This is how I handle it too.

You make a very good point Jerome. I agree once an individual conversation over a purchase has begun, then that person has first dibs to a point. I remember a tool show where I waited patiently (might be stretching that adjective a bit) until the guy ahead of me haggled a bit, then put a tool we both obviously coveted back down on the table and moved down a pace or two looking at other stuff on the table. I then picked it up and said "I'll take this at that price" to the seller - and the other guy practically snarled at me. But he had not indicated a willingness to accept the seller's offer as presented or keep ahold of the tool in his hand to indicate an ongoing haggle. So I treated it like fair game. It may be splitting hairs, but IMHO, "you snooze you lose". I guess I treated this sort of similar situation more like an auction where I signed in to find four people e-gathered around making various offers & inquiries, so I pointed to the guy who simply said "I'll buy it at that price" and said "SOLD!" Yes, many underbidders are often vocal in their 'displeasure' (gotta avoid expletives in the forums, I know)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Probably no hard and fast right answer. You just have to do what you see as fair. Application of the golden rule is about the only sure guideline. Easy to see how folks could get there nose out of joint. Imagine an in the flesh example. A potential buyer is haggling with you over the price, I walk up and but in saying I'll pay full price and you stop haggling and sell to me. I think anyone who was playing the role of the haggler will be ticked off in a big way.
    Jerome, the flaw in your example is the assumption that a conversation is taking place. In this situation, I did not see any indication that the OP had actually responded to anyone else yet. Hence, no conversation was yet occurring.

I agree, there is no hard + fast rules.
    Thomas' suggested method would work.
    But If I'm confronted with 4 emails and 3 ask questions and one offers full price... well I think that just picking the one is fine also, regardless of what order they occur in my inbox.
    "It's Not About You."

I sell it to the first guy that buys it. I don't see where it needs to be anymore complex than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    I agree, there is no hard + fast rules.
    Pretty much... For my example, I was thinking along the lines of a higher priced item that I was already discounting. If it was a lower price item and wasn't worth haggling for me I'd just go with the first one with the full amount I was asking. Same if the haggling was unrealistic to me - such as they were offering half of what I was asking or asking me to deliver something four states over. Courteous reply: "Sorry, but..."

If I was already "talking" with one person I'd continue with them - certainly if they were making sure that the item would fit their use. But I also usually set a deadline (particularly for craigslist type situations) because I've had too many cases of never hearing from someone after they "promised" they'd take it.

OK So this happens again, and it makes me feel like a newbie. I listed an item, took offers from a number of people, accepted some of them in turn, with promises of immediate "put your money where your mouth is" payment, and.... nothing.... in one case overnight, and another for several hours. A guy comes along saying " I'll buy it" and pays me for it immediately, and most importantly, FIRST. Only By about 15 seconds this time! I had to issue a paypal refund and apology to the guy who came in second (one other eventually declined after I pestered him, and yet another seems to have forgotten his promise of payment all together).
    I'm considering adding a note to anything else I list in the classifieds "first one to actually pay me gets it" because a trend is developing that tools I've priced to sell sometimes seem to sit for a hundred hits or so and then the "spit hits the fan" and everyone wants it at once. Wonder if I'm being too impatient, but the way things seem to bunch up like this I'm not sure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Matthews View Post
    I listed an item, took offers from a number of people, accepted some of them in turn, with promises of immediate "put your money where your mouth is" payment, and.... nothing.... for several hours.
    I think that's approaching impatient on your part. Someone may want the item, but they're not going to sit on the boards awaiting your reply that they are first in line and where they should send payment. Your call, but I'd be pretty annoyed if I said "mine" first and was only given a couple of hours to make good with the payment. Give me a chance to get back to the board later in the day.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5