Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Charlesworth vs Coseman Videos

There have been a couple of times that I posted something wanted critical discussion, and guidance on design especially, and george was the only person to speak up.

Specifically on saw handles and planes, and it was an issue where the stuff looked OK, but I knew it didn't look like I wanted it to but I wasn't exactly sure why. There were too many people who wanted to be polite, which is nice, but not always productive.

I'm pretty sure I put pictures of the last three things I did with dovetails on here. They're in steel and brass. Technically, two of them are pins on pins with secondary bevels. I didn't have to take a class to do them, but on those (unlike wood), i cut short of the scribe lines. When I wanted to learn to do that, I asked someone some brief questions - a craftsman - and got advice. It was pretty simple. Nobody pimped anything at me or described all of the ways I'd come up short without their assistance.

When I see a thread like this where some people are actually making a living as a craftsman or something related (the rest of us make a living elsewhere), I see two types of people. The Georges of the world ....and others. I know where I'll seek advice.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 05-30-2011 at 7:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mike Holmes is getting rich fixing the work of "contractors" who watched a couple of episodes of DIY or spent a few hours on Youtube and thought they could lay tile, do the plumbing and rewire the home.
    Contractors doing poor quality work were around long before DIY Network or even the internet and cable TV for that matter.

What makes you think those contractors even bothered to watch DIY or Youtube?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Contractors doing poor quality work were around long before DIY Network or even the internet and cable TV for that matter.

jtk
    LOL - good comment. And so true.

One thing I've noticed in the past few years. Either I'm getting lucky or the trade people are getting better. I had some remodel work done recently and the quality of the work was outstanding, except for one guy - the painter (who also did drywall). He wasn't a bad painter but he wasn't up to quality level of the rest of the people.

Most of them came through the general contractor so I guess he's had time to find good people. In talking with friends who work in the trades (and are good) they're telling me that they have more work than they can handle - they have a backlog - so it looks like things are starting to pick up a bit.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

If there is anyone I HATE working with,it is a contractor. I spent weeks designing my new shop building. Repeatedly I had to make them go back and re do stuff because they didn't follow the drawings. They put the windows in about a foot off the ground. They made the stair too steep. The first day I came out here(wasn't living here yet),and found the bricklayers putting the garage door in the wrong place. They hadn't been given the latest drawings,which I HAD given the contractor a week or 2 before. The building is a quality building,but I did pay a premium price for it,and it was uphill all the way. I made them do everything right.

Years before we got this house,I had trouble with painters painting my old house. I wanted the paint scraped from the glass where they carelessly slopped paint on it."I don't see why I should be punished" one said. Heck!! I didn't know I was punishing him. I thought I was employing him!!

Most of the time I have been lucky enough to hire Williamsburg maintenance men. They work to a higher standard,and do not leave their mess laying around. I had even had a painter spill a gallon of red paint on the concrete driveway,and just leave it there. I think painters are really the worst of the contractors I dealt with in getting this house refurbished. I finally fired one guy and finished up myself.
    Last edited by george wilson; 05-30-2011 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

jtk
    Jim
    You may want to consider why there is even a market for a TV program called Disaster DIY? The networks are making big bucks off of people watching Youtube and DIY how to programs and getting it wrong.
    The one show that made me stop watching most of the programs was a guy using a finish nail gun to put molding on drywall. He put a fastener every 4 inches. I guess no one ever told the guy that you can fasten drywall to wood but you can't fasten wood to drywall. Especially with a pin nailer. I bet some guy or gal who watched the program went out and bought a finish nail gun and thought he could actually apply molding to drywall. Gee it worked on TV and it only took 30 minutes.

PS Back at ya. What makes you think those contractors didn't watch DYI or Youtube?

Ed
    Last edited by Ed Looney; 05-30-2011 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post

I'm pretty sure I put pictures of the last three things I did with dovetails on here. They're in steel and brass. Technically, two of them are pins on pins with secondary bevels. I didn't have to take a class to do them, but on those (unlike wood), i cut short of the scribe lines. When I wanted to learn to do that, I asked someone some brief questions - a craftsman - and got advice. It was pretty simple. Nobody pimped anything at me or described all of the ways I'd come up short without their assistance.
    That reminds me very much of my recent conversations with Matt at Gabardi & Son. I watched his video and sent him an e-mail to say thanks for sharing his craft. I'd never seen how metal dovetails were made. We've talked a bit and he's given me all sorts of good advice. The only tool he even remotely "pimped" was a hacksaw from Starrett. And that was just because he liked it so much. BTW...I ended up buying a Lennox saw and a bunch of Starrett blades. The beginnings of my first metal DT's are in the shop right now, with most of the thanks going to Matt for the inspiration to give it a shot. The guy is totally humble and open to sharing, just the type I like to deal with.
    I owe much of my other hobby (noisy British choppers) to craftsmen of similar heart. My first phone conversation with one vendor that I deal with (and enjoy dealing with) was 45 minutes long...and I hadn't bought a thing! It has now turned into a nearly four year long distance friendship. My former boss is the same way. Humble teacher, no ego, just nuts, bolts and knowledge. I don't think a single person has taught me more about turning wrenches than he has.
    Those are the mentors that I'm drawn to.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Looney View Post
    Jim
    You may want to consider why there is even a market for a TV program called Disaster DIY? The networks are making big bucks off of people watching Youtube and DIY how to programs and getting it wrong.
    The one show that made me stop watching most of the programs was a guy using a finish nail gun to put molding on drywall. He put a fastener every 4 inches. I guess no one ever told the guy that you can fasten drywall to wood but you can't fasten wood to drywall. Especially with a pin nailer. I bet some guy or gal who watched the program went out and bought a finish nail gun and thought he could actually apply molding to drywall. Gee it worked on TV and it only took 30 minutes.

PS Back at ya. What makes you think those contractors didn't watch DYI or Youtube?

Ed
    Even if it worked, you wouldn't want a nail every 4" because then you have to go back and fill all those nail holes.

But if you're doing painted crown, the real thing holding it up is the caulk you put in the top and bottom seams.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike
    When I put up the dental crown in my living room I used long finish nails and shot where the dental detail would later be applied. I was able to nail into the double top plate behind the drywall and fasten it securely with two and a half inch finish nails. The best part was that I was able to apply the dental detail and cover the nail holes saving me a bunch of time filling and sanding.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Baldwin III View Post
    That reminds me very much of my recent conversations with Matt at Gabardi & Son. I watched his video and sent him an e-mail to say thanks for sharing his craft. I'd never seen how metal dovetails were made. We've talked a bit and he's given me all sorts of good advice. The only tool he even remotely "pimped" was a hacksaw from Starrett. And that was just because he liked it so much. BTW...I ended up buying a Lennox saw and a bunch of Starrett blades. The beginnings of my first metal DT's are in the shop right now, with most of the thanks going to Matt for the inspiration to give it a shot. The guy is totally humble and open to sharing, just the type I like to deal with.
    I owe much of my other hobby (noisy British choppers) to craftsmen of similar heart. My first phone conversation with one vendor that I deal with (and enjoy dealing with) was 45 minutes long...and I hadn't bought a thing! It has now turned into a nearly four year long distance friendship. My former boss is the same way. Humble teacher, no ego, just nuts, bolts and knowledge. I don't think a single person has taught me more about turning wrenches than he has.
    Those are the mentors that I'm drawn to.
    Anyone who tells someone who going to make metal planes by hand that they should buy a very good hacksaw is doing them a favor. Of course, that's like a $25-$40 proposition, so it's not exactly baiting you to empty your wallet.

I have a lenox saw, as long as you got one with the solid back and a really strong tensioner, you'll be really pleased with it.

Did you comb cut a section and touch the blade yet? Even the little bits of metal dust that come out when you use a coarse blade will burn you...it all gets incredibly hot.

Anyone who tells someone who going to make metal planes by hand that they should buy a very good hacksaw is doing them a favor. Of course, that's like a $25-$40 proposition, so it's not exactly baiting you to empty your wallet.

I have a lenox saw, as long as you got one with the solid back and a really strong tensioner, you'll be really pleased with it.

Did you comb cut a section and touch the blade yet? Even the little bits of metal dust that come out when you use a coarse blade will burn you...it all gets incredibly hot.
    If the light is right, and you're looking really really close, you can see a puff of smoke come off that thing! Matt's advice was pretty simple (to summarize): get a GOOD high tension saw and a lot of files. I had trouble finding the Starrett he recommended, but I heard good things about the Lennox, so I got that. He seemed to be a huge fan of the Starrett blades, though...so I grabbed a pack.
    I have one set of tails cut into a practice piece, with some filing left to do. I want to try the comb saw and cold chisel method, I just have to remember where my small cold chisel is. I have to order some steel to make the new axle for my chopper, so I'll probably order up some brass with it for plane making. This slope sure is slippery.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

I have a Starrett, Lenox, Nicholson and mid-grade Craftsman..
    I loved my Starrett and bought the Lenox @eBay cheap to stop having to change blades from coarse to fine..
    My friend Ian send me a pic of him and Karl Holtey in his shop and Karl has like six hack saws on the wall..
    I asked, whats up with all the hack saws?
    Ian says Kael says they are the best and bought a bunch in case they stop making them..
    I bought one and its the best..
    Nice rubber on front and rear grip..
    Just feels good while sawing

http://www.amazon.com/Nicholson-8096.../dp/B00002N5KS

I was just surfing Amazon and this Greenlee looks even better and free shipping too
    http://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-333A-..._sbs_indust_23

Last edited by Johnny Kleso; 05-31-2011 at 12:00 AM.
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

I am the only person the Master Gunsmith said he ever saw using cutting oil on a hacksaw blade. He admitted it made sense. A person can only sustain about 1/10 H.P.. Make the most of it!!

I use band saw wax comes in 2" od tube about 12" long for steel cutting

!!untitled.png
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Will the bandsaw wax and/or cutting fluid tolerate the heat of the hacksaw blade and not smoke off? I have some bandsaw wax floating around, and I don't use the bandsaw often enough to worry about saving the wax for it.

Will the bandsaw wax and/or cutting fluid tolerate the heat of the hacksaw blade and not smoke off? I have some bandsaw wax floating around, and I don't use the bandsaw often enough to worry about saving the wax for it.
    Trefolex.

Get some. Don't care where, just get some.

Thank me later.