Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making wider stock

Nice! Thanks for all the pics. I'm gonna build a crosscut sled and a planer sled since I don't have a joiner

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    My (small) Bosch 4100 is under there ... somewhere. I promise

Hi Neil, Quick question about your sled. Does the blade cut it totally in half and its held together only by the front and rear blocks? How tall are the blocks?

Ayup. You run the blade right through, front to rear, leaving your two fences to support the structure.

You can make your fences as tall as you like, practically speaking. Mine are probably 3-1/2" high, but ... I'd probably go higher, next time around.

They're called crosscut sleds. If you Google around, you'll find LOTS of plans and lots of shop-built versions.

Also a thing called a Dubby Sled -- the Lexus of crosscut sleds.

IIRC, the Woodsmith Shop guys have a very good plan for one.

If you build one, and get it 90* square to your blade, you'll have an *extremely* useful jig !

Thanks, Bill, for making that clear.

Tony: with your crosscut sled (and a roller stand or three), you can crosscut a board of any length, as long as it will fit into your shop, and you can adequately support the weight, all the way through the cut.

But ... yeah ... a planer sled is a different animal, and ... again ... plans are easily found

It's useful for getting that first straight edge that you can run against the table saw fence. You probably want to do whatever you need to to get a flat face to lay flat on the sled.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Truong View Post
    Darn the featherboard I got is magnetic and my saw isn't..

For the sled, is it helpful for making straight rip cuts?

Alternating cuts like Bill suggests will work BUT you must be careful at glue up since the slightly angled edges will want to ride up when clamp pressure is applied. So it is important to use cauls as Bill said when you use this technique.
    Forrest

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Bonner View Post
    Alternating cuts like Bill suggests will work BUT you must be careful at glue up since the slightly angled edges will want to ride up when clamp pressure is applied. So it is important to use cauls as Bill said when you use this technique.
    Forrest
    Thanks for the additional tip!

I just made my crosscut sled. Hope its big enough. It's 36"x27". Fits my portable dewat nicely. I also tested the planer out.. Pretty nice! And I just ordered the ridgid jointer too. That comes today. Real excited to get this project going.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help! I just finished my first project and installed the tank on the cabinet.

_DSC0006.JPG

Looking forward to my second project

Blog Entries
    Nice work! A heavy tank like that will test your construction skills!

Nice job! That walnut had some cool grain.

Nice job. Look forward to seeing more from you!

Tony, really nice cabinet you made! How big is the fish tank? Amazing how heavy they are with water in them huh.

A little off topic, but I need to replace the lighting system on my 55 gal. Is that a LED system you are using or is that some kind of light stuck to the left side of you tank? A light diffused lamp?

Nice stand ! Great tank too !

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Beadle View Post
    A little off topic, but I need to replace the lighting system on my 55 gal. Is that a LED system you are using or is that some kind of light stuck to the left side of you tank? A light diffused lamp?

Nice stand ! Great tank too !
    Hi,

Yes it's an LED. They're a little expensive but the best LED for an aquarium reef system. AquaIlluminations Sol Blue: http://aquaillumination.com/